Lake Phoenix Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's the closest to me as well, we did have a really nice spot open in Maryland last year thats closer, but they ran into a zoning issue that supposedly has been worked out and now they will reopen in 2020. I used to go to Lake Phoenix quite a bit but now have been finding myself just driving a little further to go to NC when I want to dive.

Did anyone see him free diving or are they just making assumptions because he drowned?

This is second hand info from a member of the dive club involved with finding him: (I wasn't there)

Based on what apparently was found on the guys Gopro, he was free diving the plane. When he was found floating at the surface by a group that had just come up some to get to warmer water after diving on the plane, there wasn't much they could do other than swimming him back to the dock. Viz. was 20 feet at best, pretty typical for a Sunday at Phoenix. Speculation is that he signed in as a swimmer because MAYBE: He was confused with free diving isn't diving and really swimming, didn't have a buddy or a cert card or simply tried to save a couple bucks because the rate to swim costs less than diving.

If plane is at same depth as the helicopter it is below the thermocline and seems to me less viz below the thermocine but maybe just because it is darker.

MAYBE: He was confused with free diving isn't diving and really swimming, didn't have a buddy or a cert card or simply tried to save a couple bucks because the rate to swim costs less than diving.

While there is a separate waiver for free divers, the entrance fees on the website specifically say "SCUBA Divers", and put snorkelers in a separate category along with swimmers and visitors. I didn't see a separate cost for free divers. I also went through the terms of service, park rules and didn't see any mention of free divers. Additionally the snorkeler/swimmer waiver only asks for a buddy's name but doesn't make you agree to use a buddy like the scuba diver and free diver one does. In short, someone who is untrained as a free diver really has no way of knowing there are separate expectations.

(as an aside, Robert seems to have taken down that Facebook post)

Sergei was related to my wife through marriage. Apparently, he has been free diving for quite some time but not following the recommended Diver precautions. I am not a diver myself, so don't know all the rules. I thought you all might be interested in helping out his young wife and son that have been left behind. I checked with the administrators of this site and they said it is ok to post the GoFundMe info. Thank you for supporting Sergei's family during this tragedy.

Click here to support Arnold's Family Financial Support organized by Yulia Shapavalava

Back
Top Bottom