Lake Ouachita/AR shore accessible dive/freedive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSspearo

Registered
Reaction score
Anywhere within walking distance of Brady Mountain campground you can swim out and be in 30-40 feet of water and have some visibility? It'll be freediving on a buoy and line so no extra gear to speak of.

Screenshot (33).png

@drrich2 Thank you sir. Yeah I called, very friendly and helpful. They suggested the dam and from what I've seen that is the most surefire place for shore access and visibility. From where we will be, the dam is about 18 minutes which is fine. If there is a site close by, that would be nice in case we have a time constraint or something like that.

There is a spot in this screenshot right there at Brady Mountain Campground I'm curious about. Looks like it drops off pretty good and has some access.

If you go, I hope you'll post a trip report, such as what you'd estimate the visibility to be, and what fish species you saw and what outfit you got tank fills from. And if you need to tow a dive flag (likely, to boaters in theory know to stay away from you).

Ironically, I was raised in Arkansas but didn't start diving till many years after I left. I have never dove there.

@drrich2 Yes definitely will give a report. Got a large dive flag ordered and priority one is safety so will always have it up. We'll be freediving but if I visit a gear shop I'll post any necessary details.

Looks like you can get some depth there once you get out a ways. But anybody’s guess about vis. I would bet 10-15’ if you are lucky. Any finning close to the bottom and it will instantly go to zero vis. Also, that appears to be a marked swimming area so don’t think a float will be needed.

As a regular diver of Arkansas lakes, I would look for someplace with a steeper drop like about 0.4 miles west of where you indicated on the overlook road. The fish will also be more prominent there than the shallow slope of the swimming area. Take some canned cheese and the perch will swarm you, at least when scuba diving.

Lastly, keep in mind the water will be 70’s close to the surface and near 60 degrees by the time you get to 30’. As a free diver I guess you won’t have a wetsuit and may find it cold. Even after all the rain we are getting 30’ vis closer to the dam at Beaver lake right now.
07F74753-607F-4C70-AAE0-D47791A17F41.jpeg

@Curious_George

Man! Navionics just opened up my world. Looking at the site now. Good to know about bottom finning and finding a steep slope which will be much easier now.

I was planning to wear a 3mm top and gauge if I needed to throw on the bottom suit.

Will probably end up at the Blakely Mountain Dam at some point and if it has similar vis to Beaver lake dam that would be pretty cool. Only dove in blue ocean so a high vis green lake experience is gonna be a trip for sure.

Great info. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom