Lake Murray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Froglady

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I took some kids with me to Lake Murray this weekend. I live north of Dallas so it's closer then CSSP and have other activies. We got there Sunday around noon. There was an instructor there just scouting the area for future dive sites for his class. There was 4 guys just finishing their dive.

My daughter had no plans to dive, so she brought a friend along. If the water isn't 80 degrees or higher she does not dive. My son geared up, got in, water got to his chest and then he decided it was too cold for him too. So I did a solo dive.

Water temp was 65. Vis about 5-10 foot. I wore a 3/2 with a 3 shorty on top. Was comfortable except my hand got cold towards the end of the dive. was down 61 min. I had 3 mil gloves, I need to find better gloves for next time.

I didn't go too deep. Followed the rocky wall. Saw a few fish, very little vegetation. Along an opening in the rock wall there was this fish about 1 1/2-2 inches long, thin with brown strips along its body. It just sat there, I thought it was a stick until I reached out for it and then he took off. As i returned along the wall I saw a couple more of them. Can anyone name it? My plan this dive was to practice photography. I got a few pics but can't make any promises about how they will turn out. After the dive the kids went horseback riding. It was a pretty good day.

I dove Marriette landing. Does anyone else dive other ares out there?

Froglady:
Along an opening in the rock wall there was this fish about 1 1/2-2 inches long, thin with brown strips along its body. It just sat there, I thought it was a stick until I reached out for it and then he took off. As i returned along the wall I saw a couple more of them. Can anyone name it? My plan this dive was to practice photography. I got a few pics but can't make any promises about how they will turn out. After the dive the kids went horseback riding. It was a pretty good day.

Does the little fish have the stripes running across its body like belts or along the length?

If it is belts then it could be a darter. they sorta look like shrimp in a way... really cute and some species are endangered. I've seen them at Lake Murray and Broken Bow too.

It looks like your in the same shape I'm in with Winter coming being that most of my dive buddys hibernate until at least May.

If you recall on your way up the road to Marretta Landing there was a tower just about 1/3 mile from the campground where you did your solo dive (were you and john and I dove) . ( not the nature center where we did the polar bear dive) I've heard there is a good dive there to 80 feet.

What a great report on Murray,,,,sounds like you had a good dive. Yea I had heard the water temp was running 63-65f. I dove last Sunday at the Terrell watering hole and temp was 68f. Thanks for the report!!

I dove Murray at Marietta Landing on Oct 24, surface temp was 72 and at the platform was 68. Vis was 6-8'. We had an underwater pumpkin carving contest. To view some pics - http://www.divingrebels.org/photos/thumbnails.php?album=5 This part of the website is still under construction. A short video will be posted to the site soon.

Did the fish look like the striped one in the photo ? That one is a Darter.

Timeliner:
Did the fish look like the one in the striped one photo ? That one is a Darter.

Yes! Those are my cute little babies! Thanks a lot. I am sure my pics will not be anywhere as clear as yours.

After blowing up your pic, I noticed the other fish that was there, also. I only saw one of him and he seemed larger. Must have ate well since your pic.

Laura and I saw those darters the first time at Lake Broken Bow. They like the shallows near the rocks. They grow to be about 5 or 6 inches long. They have such facial expressions are a real trip to watch.

Froglady:
Hi everyone.
I took some kids with me to Lake Murray this weekend. I live north of Dallas so it's closer then CSSP and have other activies. We got there Sunday around noon. There was an instructor there just scouting the area for future dive sites for his class. There was 4 guys just finishing their dive.

My daughter had no plans to dive, so she brought a friend along. If the water isn't 80 degrees or higher she does not dive. My son geared up, got in, water got to his chest and then he decided it was too cold for him too. So I did a solo dive.

Water temp was 65. Vis about 5-10 foot. I wore a 3/2 with a 3 shorty on top. Was comfortable except my hand got cold towards the end of the dive. was down 61 min. I had 3 mil gloves, I need to find better gloves for next time.

I didn't go too deep. Followed the rocky wall. Saw a few fish, very little vegetation. Along an opening in the rock wall there was this fish about 1 1/2-2 inches long, thin with brown strips along its body. It just sat there, I thought it was a stick until I reached out for it and then he took off. As i returned along the wall I saw a couple more of them. Can anyone name it? My plan this dive was to practice photography. I got a few pics but can't make any promises about how they will turn out. After the dive the kids went horseback riding. It was a pretty good day.

Yes, however a good place to dive is off the dam. Huge catfish and some great rock formations. The vis is usually better then Marietta Landing. Our scuba club just had our underwater pumpkin dive there a couple of weeks ago. We will be having our annual multi-club wine and cheese tasting in February. We have a Bar-B-Q lunch, a dry suit manufacturer is ususally scheduled for demos, diving as weather permits, a huge bon fire and the wine and cheese contest and tasting in the evening. If you would like to attend see our website for more information. www.divingrebels.org

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom