Lake Murray, SC diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two dive buddies here that dive that site weekly. They know it like the back of your hands. Last Saturday they told me that the vis is really good right now. 15 -25 feet most of the time. The water temperatures are variable with at depth being about 52-55 degrees, you definetly need a 7m wetsuit and hood. Water temp does get warmer to another 62-65 degrees. Now these guys dive there year round and are very hearty divers. They do a shore entrance and go out to a trench that goes deep to about 90 feet, after you pass through a thermal cline it gets to those colder temps. They then work their way over to the plane and the depth gets gradually shallower, the plane is sitting in about 30 feet of water. This may be off since the water level at the lake went up last year some from all of the rain we had. Another note is that depending on how recent the rain the vis is worsened.

Personally, I hate the cold water, but the dive is fun. I told both Andy and David that as soon as the water gets to about 72 to 65 I will join them again.

Well, not much else I can add. Oh yeah there is, another site that we dive in this area is the Savannah River. We do it as a drift dive and it is pretty good. Conditions there are also something that is good to check out ahead.

The dive shop that is referred too has several divers that are regular river and lake divers so they keep the shop up on the conditions. However they are not keeping the website updated, it is best to contact the shop and ask them how the conditions are.

If you have any questions PM me and I will help you out.

There are some B-25 bombers in Lake Murray, but they're deep. I heard John Leader, the head of the state archeology group that recovered the Hunley, talk about them a year or two ago.

I seem to remember that they're beyond recreational depth and may have live ordinance, so be careful.

No live ordinance.

There were several crashes.

One is known and the salvor's rights belong to a friend. It rests at 192' - which is more like 160' right now.

There's still at least one in the lake that hasn't been found yet.

berniechip2003:
Hi everybody,

I just moved to Lake Murray, SC. Has anyone been diving here? Is there anywhere else close by to go diving? I don't have a lot of time to travel, but am anxious to start diving. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
there is always the cooper river also columbia scuba can help you i know they are going to lake jocassee the end of july bill routh of off the wall charters guides on jocassee . i,ve done some under water metal detecting in lake murray. if interested in the cooper check out www.backwaterdiversions.com. last weekend i met a couple from prosperity,sc on the cooper that have a resturant in prosperity, sorry can,t remember thier names but you should be able to find them. god luck, dive safe and often

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom