Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm supposed to be diving next weekend out of Hammond Indiana on lake Michigan. The site's I'm supposed to go to is the e material and service barges on Saturday and Staits of Mack and Wells Burt on Sunday. Saturdays dives appear to be pretty shallow a Sundays are so so for depth? My question is what temperature should I prepare for both days? Just trying to figure out if I want to bring a wetsuit suit set up for Saturday and my drysuit for Sunday or dry suit for both days? Thumb used to diving in Lake Erie where everything is cold and deep. 30-40 ft depth is unheard of in the part of the lake I dive.

The thermocline is right around 40' right now in the southern end of the lake. You'll have around 70 degrees above it and 45-50 degrees below it.

Maybe check with the charter?

A few of the buoys on Great Lakes Buoys have the temps at depth. You can click on the points and then the link to get current data

Or jump directly to:
Michigan City - Great Lakes Buoys
Wilmette - Great Lakes Buoys

Dove the Mac this weekend, it was 49°F at about 73ft. Dove it dry with a base layer, probably color have used a bit more undersuit.

The Inland Steel Barge is about 45' deep with the top of the wreck at about 30'. Temps there fluctuate between 50f - 65f. My last trip there, about 3 weeks ago, we had 62f everywhere. That's about what I would expect this weekend but be prepared for the possibility that it may be cooler near the bottom. The Material Service Barge is between 20'-30' deep and the water will be warm. I had 72f on it last week.

The Wells Bert is about 40' deep and we had 58f below 35' and 62f above that today. The Mac is between 50' & 85' deep depending on where you go. Yesterday they had temps around 50f on it.

Maybe a bit cooler this coming weekend?

Miller Beach today - not far from Hammond.

Attachments

• lake michigan miller beach 220126.jpg
    lake michigan miller beach 220126.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 82

Back
Top Bottom