Lake Limestone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What's the scoop on Lake Limestone, close to Buffalo Texas? With a name like that, you would think there would be great diving there... anyone know anything about it?
We passed the signs for it last weekend on our "shortcut" home from Austin and it piqued my interest.

Foo

Size: 13,680 acres

Location: Lies 15 miles southeast of Groesbeck on Farm Road 3371 in Leon, Robertson and Limestone counties.

Description: This reservoir was built to provide cooling water for lakeside electric generating plants. Water here is slightly alkaline, moderately clear and a maximum of 42 feet deep. An irregular shoreline, brush, timber and aquatic plants provide fish habitat.

Controlling Authority: Brazos River Authority, Rt. 3, Box 89A, Thornton, TX 76687, (903) 529-2141.

Comments: Ironically, Lake Limestone does not feature limestone. Instead, it offers clay banks typical of the region.

Only have one question.

1. Does it have alligators?

Soooo, alligators aside... anyone dive there or know of someone who has? Sounds like it might be worth a try to dive there- moderately clear sounds gin clear to a Texan! Is there a lot of boat traffic, i.e. fishermen?
Foo

texdiveguy:
Comments: Ironically, Lake Limestone does not feature limestone. Instead, it offers clay banks typical of the region.
Named because of its location - Limestone County.

Last time I was in the area it was fished pretty regular. But that was 17 plus years ago, and things change.

Wanna check it out sometime Foo?? I mean... the worst thing that could happen is that it is un-dive-able and we just party on the shore right :D
'Nothin wrong with that...
There are some other unregistered spots that DFW folks want to check out too.
( read: have somebody else check it out first while they watch the Cowboys game)

Swampers are thinkin' about divin' the 820 bridge on Lake Worth. It can't be any worse then that I know for sure. ( 1-3 feet vis)
I wanna' do Lake Pat Mayse near Paris ( 3-4 feet vis max )
There is Lake Moss near Gainsville that Richerso has a thing for doing.
Now we have this Lake Limestone thing as well.

That set of dives should take us through March easy !! :wink:

Alligators... So What

Timeliner:
Wanna check it out sometime Foo??
I believe we should, Timeliner! Sounds like a fun adventure. When I was expecting my first child (25 or so yrs ago), Donald worked in that area. I would go stay with him in this really crummy little travel trailer and I went to that lake several times, to sun and swim. But I don't really remember much about it... except I did NOT see any alligaors!
Timeliner:
I mean... the worst thing that could happen is that it is un-dive-able and we just party on the shore right :D
'Nothin wrong with that...
Absolutely nuttin' wrong with that... in fact, we've been there, done that, right?

Timeliner:
Alligators... So What
Well, I am kinda skeert of 'em... but I will just let you wrestle them if we find any. Will remind me of the Tarzan movies I used to watch when I was a girl. And Laura could just swim away from them, no 'gator's gonna catch that woman!

Foo

Actually, gators are not that big of a threat. They are lazy creatures, mostly scavengers, and when forced to go after prey usually look for small. easy targets. Especially this time of year, with water temps in the 50's, they are going to be in high energy conservation mode. They are most aggressive in the spring. Of course, there's always that element of chance. Same as diving in the ocean...

Back
Top Bottom