Lake Juliette...Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Jesse and I drove over to Lake Juliette this morning. The drive was only 30min from my house and I was anxious to get wet as I had not been diving since June which has been way too long.
We arrived at Dames Ferry Park only to find that the day use area had been reserved for the day. I don't know how often this happens but it seems like everytime I've been by there the day use area is reserved by some church or civil organization. We were directed to go over to the boat ramp. There was a small beach area beside the boat ramp so we pulled in and geared up.
The parking fee was $3.00.
One thing I do like about this lake is the fact that boats with over 25hp motors are not allowed in the lake neither is jet ski's, seadoo's etc. Because of this I think that the only people that use boats on the lake is locals and older fishermen. There wasn't very many boats on the lake today.
After we are geared up Jesse and I walk down to the floating dock to jump in. The water looked clear so I entered in first with Jesse right behind me.
First issue. Grass!
The lake is covered in water grass and it was so thick that my straps on my fins were getting tangled up in it not to mention my gear! We went for deeper water and were greated with about 7' vis and more grass. Here the grass doesn't reach the surface. We swam about 10' below the serface and about 1' above the grass. We decided to follow the contour of the bottom to a little deeper water still. After we go to our deepest point in our short dive the grass started getting thinner and the type of grass changed from long blades to short "bundles".
Here we say many fish and I was hoping to see a turtle but none was sighted.

Overall it was a good break from Lake Lanier. We were told by some locals that the grass doesn't grow much below 20' to 30'. The bottom was soft clay / silt with a few dense bottom areas where the bottom was hard. We stayed above the thermocline in 86 deg. water Max depth = 20' Dive time = 30min. Viz ranged from 3' to 10'.

I look forward to diving here again. I would like to dive the dam area but it is only accessable by boat. We were told that the better dive locations were accessable by boat only.

Jeremy

Glad you guys got to finally dive the site. Sounds like a place we need to come down and dive with you. Also sounds like a place I need to bring my fishing pole for when we are on our SI. Im sure there are some fish hidding in the grass that you didn't see. Well im glad you had a good time, let us know when you want to try and dive it again. Heather and I are going out to redneck reef today, I'll let you know how it was when we get back.

Kyle

Hey, Jer,
Give me a head up too !!!

KP, we'll see you guys at the lake around 1545 to 1600 hours.

the K

I will let you guys know when I'm going out there next. I may try to dive there next Sat. for a short 30 to 40 min. dive. I'm wanting to find a location that drops down past 40' close to the boat ramp.

Anyone is welcome to come play.

Jeremy

Jeremy,
Jason And I dove Juliette on Sunday. Conditions were about the same as you described. We made two short dives to a depth of about 30 ft.It got a little cool below that for the suit I had with me.
Let us know when your heading that way again, Maybe we can meet ya there.

Glen

Fry21:
Jeremy,
Jason And I dove Juliette on Sunday. Conditions were about the same as you described. We made two short dives to a depth of about 30 ft.It got a little cool below that for the suit I had with me.
Let us know when your heading that way again, Maybe we can meet ya there.

Glen

Hey Glen, didn't we dive together at Lake Lanier on the New Year's day dive?

Anyway. I really enjoyed Juliette. I'm looking to go back this Sat. Do you guys shore dive off of the day use park pavillian area or the boat ramp at Dames Ferry?
Maybe we can get together and do a couple of dives. From driveway to boat ramp at Dames Ferry is only 30min for me so it looks like I will be diving Juliette quite alot in the comming months.

I will be diving at Dames Ferry again this Saturday July 23 if you are interested in meeting out there let me know. it will be a morning dive before lunch say around 10:00 to 11:00am.

Jeremy

I believe it was New Years day. Had to think about it for a minute. Won't be able to dive this weekend. Looks like I'll have to work both days. Might try for the next one. Have to let you know.

Glen

Back
Top Bottom