lake jocassee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanick

Contributor
Reaction score
went saturday to lake jocassee for
our check out dive for our deep dive class
i was kinda nervous at first with everyone saying how cold and deep
it is but once i got suited up in that 7mm 2 piece
hood gloves and a ton of gear i was ready to get wet
7 of us followed the line down past the 2 platforms
to 103 feet on the first dive
that was so awesome .....the cold was not a big deal
not sure if it was not really as cold as i was expecting
or the 7 mm did the job but was not as bad as i was expecting
temp at 103 was around 59 degrees the gloves were thick and aggravating
so after and hour SI the gloves did not go on dive #2 back to 79 feet
came up to 30 deployed a lift bag hung it at 15 feet for about 5 mins for saftey stop
sat up on the surface for 10 mins then 4 more of us went back down to 30 feet
in which to took the hood off
i used alllllloooooot of air
pple alway said air would be run through fast at depth
i did not expect it to go that fast
on dive #3 air was little better because that hood was choking me
but all in all AWESOME day
no casualties or panics out of anyone
lake jocassee has a really nice setup for diving and training IMO with the platforms and all

This is w/ Bermuda right? I did my "Advanced" and "Deep" dive training w/ them also. Was 103' the deepest you went for your "Deep" dive? The reason I'm asking is if my above assumptions are right, which would be almost exactly like my "Deep" dive training and certification, then I would like everyone’s input as to whether this is really "Deep" dive training per TDI? One "1" dive to 103'-109'. Can you really call someone "Deep" dive certified and only get 1 dive barely past 100'?
BTW Scubanick, I'm not ragging on you at all! Congratulations on your accomplishment, I don't mean to minimize it. The 1st time I went past 100' was a big deal to me and really instilled confidence in me. And Reese and his store are good guys, I just felt a little shortchanged on my training w/ them. I am just interested in getting other peoples take on the training I received, as it appears it may be typical.

QUETZAL:
This is w/ Bermuda right? I did my "Advanced" and "Deep" dive training w/ them also. Was 103' the deepest you went for your "Deep" dive? The reason I'm asking is if my above assumptions are right, which would be almost exactly like my "Deep" dive training and certification, then I would like everyone’s input as to whether this is really "Deep" dive training per TDI? One "1" dive to 103'-109'. Can you really call someone "Deep" dive certified and only get 1 dive barely past 100'?
BTW Scubanick, I'm not ragging on you at all! Congratulations on your accomplishment, I don't mean to minimize it. The 1st time I went past 100' was a big deal to me and really instilled confidence in me. And Reese and his store are good guys, I just felt a little shortchanged on my training w/ them. I am just interested in getting other peoples take on the training I received, as it appears it may be typical.

Congratulations. I remember getting to 130' the first time. No big deal getting there. A lot more work to come back to sea level, though. 9 minutes dive time on tables due to air restrictions.

As long as the cold and dark don't bother you the first time, you should be "good to go" from now on.

I prefer the 30-70' range for the light and bottom time allowances.

what do ya mean this is with bermuda?
i am taking my courses through wateree diver center
in columbia south carolina
lake jocasse is up near greenville south carolina
you are right we should have went to 130 or closer to it
and we were
but one guy in our class brought i think EAN30
i think which gave him a MOD of 110
so that is y we cut it short
and for SSI u only have to go 61 or deeper to be considered deep dive
i think is that the instructor said
and we were gonna go back past 100
but air consumption like i said was great for some of us
being the first time we went that deep
but the rest of the group and myself
were very comfortable at that depth
other than the hood choking me lol

Yeah the main difference I noticed was that @ 110' on my way to 131' we hit a thermocline and the temp dropped another 10-deg. plus air consumption went through the roof like you said. This was after training a month later.
So I was wrong about Bermuda Triangle being the dive shop. But it looks like this is common. I.e. calling deep dive training, one dive to a little over 100'. I mean I am naturally very comfortable in the water and dark and cold, but I have been w/ guys that were certified for "Deep" diving and could tell that they did NOT belong anywhere near that depth, and temp. When I dive w/ someone I feel responsible for their life to the best of my ability and feel that dive shops often certify people for conditions that they should not be in. Not that they never could accomplish the skill but may need twice to 10 times the training others do, and wonder if all Instructors really take the time to asses each individuals skills. For example I am certified for Navigation but don't feel I should be. I am practicing this skill on my own now and will get it but didn't get it good while training and that was obvious to the instructor or should have been when me and my fellow student, ex military, and I could not find the object that had been hidden but were told "well you understand the idea, right" well yes I do understand the idea, but as yet can not perform the skill in a manner that I would put any money down on me finding anything underwater w/ one tank.

the temp i was expecting to change alot
but my main concern was air consumption
i was full of gear when i went down for the class
so i was kinda nervous
but once there no problem
on my own outside of class i would not be taking slate and such extra stuff that
the instructor had me carrying
but i was comfortable other than the hood being to tight on my neck

You just have to dive, dive, dive, get your experience and get comfortable in the water with yourself and all your gear. The deep diving comes, almost unintentionally. I went to 115' in Jocassee two weeks ago, and to 133' last month in Morehead City. I have trained, dove, and traveled with Bermuda Triangle since my AOW 3 years ago, and they have been thorough in their training, in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom