Lake Hawkins dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, I've know I've been scarce these days. I miss everyone, but I hope to be seeing you in person soon... Last weekend, we took an extended family camping weekend at Lake Hawkins (NE Texas.) Foo2 and I brought our gear, and on Sunday afternoon we decided to check it out.

After tugging on 6 tons of neoprene and setting up our gear at the campsite, we rode in the back of the truck down to the lake. Now, we didn't have a dive flag with us, so the plan was to stay in the swimming area and treasure hunt.

After pouring warm water down our wetsuits, we did a shore entry and surface swam to the marker buoys. I was slow to descend, and finally got tired of fighting it and went in for more weight, as did Foo2. I guess we didn't take the cold temps into consideration when choosing weight.

So, after going to shore, we did a second surface swim out to the markers. This descent went a little better, but I was still underweighted a little. The vis was very poor, (I'm sure there was plenty of runoff in there from the recent rains/snow) maybe 2 ft. We descended to 15 ft, no bottom yet, then I realized I would have to add more weight, (those &*%^$ marshmallow peeps and Cadbury eggs) so we did an instant replay, did yet a 3rd surface swim out, descended and found the bottom this time around 16 ft- we must have been right there the first time! We followed the silty bottom,using compass settings.

I saw one little perch in my peripheral vision when we first descended, but other than that, no fishies. I lost Foo2 once, she finally tapped my back, and we finished moving toward the shore until we hit the shallows abruptly. We stood up, looked at one another and said, "You had enough?" and ended the dive. The water temp was around 55 degrees.

Oh yeah, we did find treasure- Foo2 scored 2 beer cans to my one.

It was fun to get wet, but if I dive Lake Hawkins again, I will take a flag and check out the coves. I know there was an alligator in the swimming area before... so maybe the coves are safer, lol.

Sounds like the 2 of you got to do a bit of exploring!

Guess that is a nice place for family camping?

I read the lake is about 30ft. deep max so you were over halfway to finding its deep dark secret... :)

Hope all is well with you folks...we miss not seeing you more often, maybe this summer season.

:wink:

Sounds like the 2 of you got to do a bit of exploring!

I knew you and Timeliner would be proud of us. No cookie-cutter dive for us, no sir!
:10:

Guess that is a nice place for family camping?
Very nice park- well maintained, tended and very pretty. It's a great place to be July 4, as they put on a spectacular, free fireworks show where you can sit on a hill and watch fireworks in front of you, without having to look high in the air. Easier on the neck!

I read the lake is about 30ft. deep max so you were over halfway to finding its deep dark secret... :)
I already know the secret... it's Mr. Alligator... and I do not want to find it. :wink:

Hope all is well with you folks...we miss not seeing you more often, maybe this summer season.
You can count on it. I plan to blow lots of bubbles this spring, summer and fall. Can't wait to see ya at the swamp!

Foo, dang, you must be really jones'n to get in the water to dive this time of year in a lake. I camped out on Cooper a few weeks back and woke up with ice on the water! You guys need to head down with us to the Comal in late April for some warmer temps on the Comal. Or perhaps the Tyler cleanup in May.

We descended to 15 ft, no bottom yet, then I realized I would have to add more weight, (those &*%^$ marshmallow peeps and Cadbury eggs) so we did an instant replay, did yet a 3rd surface swim out, descended and found the bottom this time lol.

Foo,
Love ya!

Can't wait to meet you some dat at the swamp! You do know you are legendary around here ?? :wink: Right? Can't wait to meet you some day!

For us geographically illiterate people, exactly where is Lake Hawkins?

Foo, dang, you must be really jones'n to get in the water to dive this time of year in a lake. I camped out on Cooper a few weeks back and woke up with ice on the water! You guys need to head down with us to the Comal in late April for some warmer temps on the Comal. Or perhaps the Tyler cleanup in May.

True dat. Which weekend are you going to the Comal? I would love to go down there in April- is Leslie going? And we'll be at the TSP cleanup- is it in May this year or June?

Foo,
Love ya!

Can't wait to meet you some dat at the swamp! You do know you are legendary around here ?? :wink: Right? Can't wait to meet you some day!

For us geographically illiterate people, exactly where is Lake Hawkins?

Can't wait to meet you either, richerso, surprised we never have! Legendary?! Probably for my ability to pee in my wetsuit while chatting with you at the surface without you ever knowing? Or is it for my ability to appear in both Oklahoma and Texas at the same exact time? Or are yall just buttering me up because you know I'll bring snacks? :wink:

Lake Hawkins is about 20 miles north of Tyler and between Big Sandy and Mineola on Hwy 80. It's a very nice RV park with a great swimming area, etc. Really a pretty little lake, (approx. 900 acres, if I remember correctly) with a reputation for having a few gators about.

Foo,
We're planning to go down to the Comal the weekend of April 25. Leslie will either be diving or playing beach b###h depending on whether she's preggers then. We'll probably head down early Friday.

Adventure Scuba in Plano asked me to organize a little cleanup down there again this year. On Saturday morning we do the cleanup and then hang out, dive, eat, drink, camp, etc the rest of the day. I don't expect many to show, maybe around 4-5 and maybe a few friends from Austin. We would love to have you guys!

I can't recall when Tyler is - it seemed a bit later this year.

Good to see ya'll have an adventure dive (s) Ya'll did more diving then I did.
We were down in Central TX. for a week. I brought all my gear too.
'Never even blew one bubble...........

Back
Top Bottom