Lake Geneva, WI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will post my experience with Lake Geneva just in case it helps someoen out on their decision.

So the first few times my buddy and I dove Geneva we did so from shore. Yep, thats against the rules, but eh, we wanted to dive and were short on time. Whatever.

So what did we see? Well it was early in the season so the water temp was in the low 50s and we didnt see much. It is interesing to see how the bottom transitions however and we found some interesting weed lines where a large amount of bass accumulate. It never ceases to amaze me just how curious bass are. After about 30 mins into the dive we had probably a following of 10 or so good sized bass.

Black Point I see was mentioned and I have dove that several times. Found my current anchor there, a nice aluminium one with a chain and all! Large quantities of croppy and bluegill here and it dropps off so fast, it is actually really hard to anchor here. You need a good bit of line. We ended up diving down to manually seat the anchor (how useful is that lol).

One of my best finds on one of our many dives in Geneva was a Muddpuppy. I have never in my life seen on of these in person and I had no idea they got so big. I dont know how average of a size they get but mine was aboutt he size of a ferret! I would say better than 16 inches long, and boy was it cool. I sat what I thought was an eel in a pile of rocks and when I went to investigate low and behold it was the tail of this very interesitng creature. By far my favorite find diving to date =)

Water clarity varies, but lets be honest folks, we are not in the caribbean here. I would say its decent on bad days and good on good days. I have dove on some busy days, but we stick to the anchor line decent/accent and have had no issues. Good for getting some deep dives in and seeing some interesting things from time to time. We started diving all over the lake just to see if we can find something new. They used to harvest ice from Geneva back in the day and lots of equipment was lost to the icy depths. I havent gone below 60' yet but I have a new hood so that may change this weekend.

Hope this writeup helps =)

Elliott

I dove Lake geneva three years ago. It was not an especially memorable experience except for the bad stuff. Mostly boaters who don't know what a dive flag is. Surface water so choppy it was hard to maintain any kind of control when entering or exiting the boat, etc. I don't understand why they make the divers read and sign a rule book but don't make the boaters do the same.
If I ever go back it will be mid week or after Labor Day weekend so I don't endanger myself by trying to share the lake with a bunch of drunken boaters.

I have an opportunity to come out to Lake Geneva, WI, to train for work. I always try to bring my dive gear and get a local dive to two when possible. Doing a quick Google search for Lake Geneva, WI, and Scuba I'm finding some shops 40+ minutes away and this post. Does anyone have any recommendations on who I should reach out to if I want to try and get a dive to two in while in the area?

Loves Park Scuba in Loves Park, IL occasionally does wreck diving in Lake Geneva but not sure how often.

Also, as far as I can tell, shore diving Lake Geneva is forbidden. Probably wouldn’t be a good idea with all the boat traffic, anyhow.

Loves Park Scuba in Loves Park, IL occasionally does wreck diving in Lake Geneva but not sure how often.

Also, as far as I can tell, shore diving Lake Geneva is forbidden. Probably wouldn’t be a good idea with all the boat traffic, anyhow.
Thanks Marie13,

Do you know of any other areas within about an hour that would be good for shore diving?

Thanks Marie13,

Do you know of any other areas within about an hour that would be good for shore diving?
I don’t know about distance, but you can dive at Devils Lake State Park near Baraboo. MUST tow a dive flag. The conservation officers WILL ticket you otherwise. Fine is over $100. There’s also Lake Mendota (Madison). Must pull a dive flag as well. I can advise where to dive at Devils Lake. Diversions Scuba in Madison can advise on Mendota shore diving.

Thanks Marie13,

A lot of the lakes in the oconomowac area are divable. Check with stillwater diving for conditions/entry points.

I don’t know about distance, but you can dive at Devils Lake State Park near Baraboo. MUST tow a dive flag. The conservation officers WILL ticket you otherwise. Fine is over $100. There’s also Lake Mendota (Madison). Must pull a dive flag as well. I can advise where to dive at Devils Lake. Diversions Scuba in Madison can advise on Mendota shore diving.
have you been ticketed at devils lake? its the main place I dive.

have you been ticketed at devils lake? its the main place I dive.
I haven’t, but I’ve been warned by people in the know that the conservation wardens DEFINITELY do ticket. You want to take the chance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom