Laid low by a pee valve...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Some of you know that I am just back on my feet from an intense kidney/prostate infection. What's odd is that about a month before, I got a warning from a friend (Henryville) that he had gotten a severe infection that was due to his pee valve as well.

I seldom rinse the innards of my valve and never disinfect it.

One a Saturday night, I had unknowingly allowed a channel to form when I put the condom on and that allowed the urine to leak down the side of the condom. I think this allowed the pressure out of what is normally a sealed system that always has positive pressure coming out of the condom. I am thinking that perhaps the leak allowed incubating critters in my tubing to back-flow into me.

By late Sunday night, I had a 105 fever that lasted for about a week more. Monday at work, I could barely stand and despite my significant fluid intake, my urine was the darkest yellow I had ever seen it and it had lots of dark-colored pieces of "stuff" in it.

During that week, I was in the hospital on IV antibiotics. The kidneys cleared up relatively quickly, but my prostate is still limping along.

I have only heard of the one other case, but the risk of contraction is significant enough to warrant some pretty careful cleaning.

I hope this never happens to anyone else!

Jim

Glad to hear you are doing better now Jim.

jagfish:
dark-colored pieces of "stuff"
Blood...
Glad you're back with no permanent damage.
Just out of curiosity, are you using a hollow bolt or something fancier?
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Blood...
Glad you're back with no permanent damage.
Just out of curiosity, are you using a hollow bolt or something fancier?
Rick
Hi Rick
Standard, Halcyon balanced pee valve. It has a hollow bolt on the outside, but I took that out ages ago.

jagfish:
balanced pee valve
Sounds fancy to me... at least a lot fancier than my old hole with a hollow bolt in it :)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Sounds fancy to me... at least a lot fancier than my old hole with a hollow bolt in it :)
Rick
OK, yeah in that sense it's fancy. Lots of tubing and chambers for critters to hide.

Any suggested pee valve cleaning techniques or chemicals (johnson safe)?

Wow. Glad you're doing better Jim. Also really glad you shared with the rest of us. I don't have a dry suit yet, but when I get one in a year or so this is very, very good information to file away. Thanks for taking the time to share.

I was thinking about installing one too. I'd never heard of this so thankfully now I know to be careful. Thanks for sharing and glad to hear you're feeling better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom