Lahaina Dive Operators - recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigdog86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Going to Maui in a couple weeks - want to stay in Lahina area. I am looking at Extended Horizons and Lahina Divers - dont know much about either. We want to dive on 2 days and I am new but have dived Cozumel over the summer. Would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

We dive with Lahaina Divers (to Lanai) when we go to Maui every year. After having gone to Lanai in a 32' Aluminum V-hull boat once, I will stick with the big, comfortable 46' Newtons that Lahaina Diver runs. The trade off is that they are geared to the less experienced diver, they have AL72 tanks (you can get AL100s though), and they can have up to 24 divers on the boat. Frankly, we've never had an issue with any of these factors except the 24 divers once on an afternoon charter when most of them seemed to be Discover Scuba folks.

One big difference between Lahaina Divers and Extended Horizons is that LD goes to Molokini and Molokai, as well as Lanai and W. Maui sites. They also have a fixed schedule which means you can book your charters based on where they are scheduled to go on any particular day. The ride from Lahaina to Molokini is a long one (over an hour), but if you've never seen Maui from the water, it is an absolutely gorgeous ride and very enjoyable. Since you said you're a new diver, you should scratch Molokai off your list of options. It's a charter for only experienced divers who are comfortable reboarding a boat in rough conditions and doing mid-water safety stops.

Since you're going during a very slow time (Sept/Oct), you might want to check with each operator to find out how many divers it takes before they cancel (I believe it is 6 with Lahaina Divers). With business way down across the islands and uber-low season, it would be horrible for your dives to be cancelled because there aren't enough divers booked.

Frankly though, I don't think you can go wrong booking with either Extended Horizons OR Lahaina Divers. I'd really recommend that if you're going to dive twice, plan on going to Molokini one day and Lanai another day. You could book with Lahaina Divers to Molokini and Extended Horizons for Lanai to get a flavor of both.

Dive Maven is right that it is a long boat ride to Molokini from Lahaina. I'd recommend going to Molokini from the Kihei boat ramp with one of the ops that leaves from there. Much less time spent on the boat. That having been said, it's about a 40 minute drive from Lahaina to Kihei so take your pick - boat or car... Just options to consider.

I have had good experiences with Extended Horizons. I dove with them when I was pretty new and again later and had a great time both times. Never dove with Lahaina Divers, so I can't comment on them.

Mike

Lahaina also has some excellent shore diving, if you would like a guide I recommend you contact Pacific Dive about arranging something - they specialize in shore diving the west side.

Have a great time!

Aloha, Tim

Dive Maven is right that it is a long boat ride to Molokini from Lahaina. I'd recommend going to Molokini from the Kihei boat ramp with one of the ops that leaves from there. Much less time spent on the boat. That having been said, it's about a 40 minute drive from Lahaina to Kihei so take your pick - boat or car... Just options to consider.

We've done the Lahaina to Molokini boat ride a few times but now drive to Kihei from Kaanapali to catch a charter from the Kihei boat ramp. We find the drive takes about 50 minutes that early in the morning, including a stop at Starbucks. ;-)

The "only" pluses about going to Molokini with Lahaina Divers is that the boat ride itself is a gorgeous sight seeing trip, they don't leave until 7:00am giving you more time to sleep, and they do 2 tanks inside the crater (which is nice for folks who are only going to do one charter there).

Otherwise, I totally agree 100% that the drive down to Kihei is the way to go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom