Laguna Beach Resort, Utila, trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks - good to know if its windy . . . Lots of eagle rays, eh???
Did you fly to Utila from San Pedruo Sulla or from Roatan?

Curious as to how long of a flight . . . we met with the dive shop who we booked this trip through on Saturday - they took a group there between Christmas & New Years - they flew to the mainland, then mainland to Utila. They didn't have the specifics for our flight, as we are flying from Roatan to Utila.

We have not done the puddle jumper type of flight - this will be our first for that!!!

Great report Jim.. thanks for the vicarious trip :flowers:

Thanks - good to know if its windy . . . Lots of eagle rays, eh???
Did you fly to Utila from San Pedruo Sulla or from Roatan?

Curious as to how long of a flight . . . we met with the dive shop who we booked this trip through on Saturday - they took a group there between Christmas & New Years - they flew to the mainland, then mainland to Utila. They didn't have the specifics for our flight, as we are flying from Roatan to Utila.

We have not done the puddle jumper type of flight - this will be our first for that!!!

I did not time it, but the flight seemed about 1/2 hr from San Pedro Sula, and was a very enjoyable experience, flying just beside the low end of the coastal Honduras mountain range and over many banana and other plantations, and then a short hop over the water to the island of Utila. Beautiful.

This sight suggests that the Roatan flight is @15 minutes
Travelling between Roatan & Utila, The Bay Islands, Honduras

This sight lists several travel options to get to Utila
International Flights to Utila / Honduras; Getting to Utila | UTILA GUIDE

The short flight from San Pedro Sulla, plus the shuttle from the Utila airport into town and across the lagoon cost us $240 round trip. I enjoyed the chance to see the island and resort from the air. This would have been our 4th trip that involved a small, local airplane to get from the International airport to a more remote resort, and it can be fun, or it can be a hassle. It depends on the airline, and your ability to relax and go with the flow ("island time" seems almost universal with these local shuttle flights. Nothing goes quite on schedule, but it gets done)

flying from san pedro sula to utila is 25 mins and costs $220 rt. from roatan its 10 mins and costs $180 rt. the advantage to flying thru san pedro sula is that its generally $100-150 less to get to from the states than roatan. only disadvantage is that you have to land at san pedro sula by 1.30pm to make a connection. all flights from roatan to utila are charters so the scheduling is more flexible.

Jim,
Thanks for the report. Planning on a return to Bonaire? Was going but wife fell on black ice so had to postpone march trip.:depressed:
glad you enjoyed! I am going to have to enjoy honduras vicariously as malaria risk makes that impossible for me to do. bummer sounded great.

flying from san pedro sula to utila is 25 mins and costs $220 rt. from roatan its 10 mins and costs $180 rt. the advantage to flying thru san pedro sula is that its generally $100-150 less to get to from the states than roatan. only disadvantage is that you have to land at san pedro sula by 1.30pm to make a connection. all flights from roatan to utila are charters so the scheduling is more flexible.

Our flight from San Pedro Sula to Utila was a charter, arranged through the Laguna Beach resort.
They flew more than one group over on Sat.

---------- Post added February 24th, 2014 at 11:13 AM ----------

Jim,
Thanks for the report. Planning on a return to Bonaire? Was going but wife fell on black ice so had to postpone march trip.:depressed:
glad you enjoyed! I am going to have to enjoy honduras vicariously as malaria risk makes that impossible for me to do. bummer sounded great.

No plans this year, as all my time off is allotted to visiting my son and his wife in Alaska this summer.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2014 at 06:51 PM ----------

I posted more pictures on my Facebook page, including images of the types of airplanes that service Utila from Roatan, and San Pedro Sula, Honduras:

https://www.facebook.com/jim.newton...0200666101133362.1073741847.1785739385&type=1

Thanks very much for the trip report...could you offer any comments of the rooms? Did you see the beach front bungalow?

Thanks very much for the trip report...could you offer any comments of the rooms? Did you see the beach front bungalow?

The rooms were very nice. We were pleased.

While I was not in the bungalow, two of the divers in our group stayed there, and I heard no complaints.

I've dived both Utila and Roatan and generally prefer Utila.
I stayed at Laguna Beach in Utila and agree with the trip report. First class dive op. The shore diving there was pretty good as well, particularly at night. Stayed at Turquoise Bay on Roatan and dived both North and South sides of island. Did not like the dive op at Turquoise ( Subway Watersports )

The diving on the North Side of Utila is spectacular and there seemed to be many more large animals than Roatan. There is a sea mount at Utila called Black Hills that is one of my favorite Caribbean sites anywhere. Also saw a pod of spinner dolphins and had the opportunity to snorkel with whale sharks twice.

I know there are a lot of Roatan fans out there but I personally would not rush back there but would return to Utila in a heartbeat.

Roatan had very few large fish ( overfishing ) and seemed dangerous in comparison to Utila where I had no concerns walking around Utila Town even at night. The only real highlight for me on Roatan was the shark dive, which was contrived but exciting.

Great review! I am scheduled to dive Utila next month and now, after reading this I am really looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom