Laguna Beach Dive Laws

Lifeguards make decisions for divers

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3:

Maybe ... "to assemble their gear piece by piece?"

It looks to me the free speech issue was him being belligerent to the cops and lifeguards which the plaintiff believes lead to his arrest.

Laguna Beach diving rules get relaxed
Lifeguards will ease enforcement.
By SPENCER KORNHABER
The Orange County Register
Comments 0 | Recommend 0

For scuba fanatics, Laguna Beach has long stood out for more than just its rock outcroppings, blue water and coves filled with marine life – it was also known as a city with some of the strictest diving laws.

Since the '60s, lifeguards checked each diver to make sure he had a "diving buddy," someone to go underwater with, and carried a snorkel with him.

While the same law requiring snorkels and a buddy still exists, lifeguards say they will be less stringent and won't enforce it as heavily as they had.

"The city and Marine Safety Department no longer feel it's feasible or reasonable for a lifeguard to check out all the scuba divers entering the coastal waters," said Mark Klosterman, Laguna Beach's marine safety chief.

Klosterman said divers are generally better prepared than in the past. Lifeguards shouldn't have to spend time approving each diver who enters the water, he said, especially when approval won't prevent the top cause of scuba accidents in Laguna Beach: bad judgment.

Lifeguards will still close beaches to scuba diving when conditions are hazardous.

Gordon Boivin, owner of Laguna Sea Sport, helped develop the policy shift with Klosterman. He said the diving community is behind the change "100 percent."

Dale Sheckler, publisher of California Diving News, said, "It gives divers more freedom to make choices about how they're going to dive."

Yes, of course we are only getting one side to this....the law suit doesn't detail the obvious righteous attitude he probably took with the police. Who demands to call an attorney 4 times for something like this...

Pay the fine, quit breaking the law repeatedly, and quit loading up the judicial system with frivilous law suits. I'm sorry your pissed you didn't think of the McDonalds hot coffee suit first....

Yes, of course we are only getting one side to this....the law suit doesn't detail the obvious righteous attitude he probably took with the police. Who demands to call an attorney 4 times for something like this...

Pay the fine, quit breaking the law repeatedly, and quit loading up the judicial system with frivilous law suits. I'm sorry your pissed you didn't think of the McDonalds hot coffee suit first....

My dive Buddy has signed a sworn declaration under oath that we did not disobey anyone!

This was my first and only citation in almost 500 dives.

I was not allowed an opportunity to pay the fine.

The District Attorney, as stated in the complaint, refused to prosecute in the "interests of justice." The DA's statement is entered into the record.

This is my first and only civil lawsuit at age 52-hardly loading the judicial system!

I have no criminal or traffic record, either!

"The Hot Coffee" suit was lost for dangerously overheating cheaper coffee to hide the poor flavor. The woman was retired and elderly that got severely burned. She required skin grafts. She had not sued anyone previously. Other people had been burned also.

You are welcome and encouraged to express your feelings, but they bring more respect when tempered with accurate information and research.

Leonard Porto

The Ninth Circuits' published decisions, as well as all circuits, establish precedent for all states, unless overrulled by the US Supreme Court.

Successfull challenges to municipal ordinances or laws, if published by FEDERAL COURTS OF APPEAL, establish the precedents all courts rely upon in decisions.

Leonard Porto

Understand clearly, I am NOT an attorney.

I'm note sure how this qualifies as an accident or an incident, and after reading the complaint it seems as though it's a case of arrogant diver vs arrogant cop (Jerk vs Jerk). I mean, who demands that they be allowed to call an attorney when they're getting a ticket from a cop? Waaaaaaaay overboard. Personally I hope that you do not collect a dime.

I find it a bit ironic that you were cited, but your buddy was not....goes to show that being nice or respectable or at least non-confrontational goes a long way in not getting yourself in trouble, and thus having to present your case to the Ninth Circuit.

Back
Top Bottom