Lady Luck Coordinates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like some #s popped up

26 13.845′ N 80 03.828′ W

Who do we bother to see about getting some mooring buoys put on this thing as well??

Looks like some #s popped up

26 13.845′ N 80 03.828′ W

Who do we bother to see about getting some mooring buoys put on this thing as well??

If they were going to put them on it they would have, I think. There is too much boat traffic, and I bet it would end up being rather difficult when anyone that feels like it, diver or not can tie up to the wreck, and hang out all day fishing and barbecuing, or whatever. It is easy enough to get on the wreck without them, and if you think about it, we are probably better off without them.

Looks like a great penetration dive judging by the layout. I love this 3D swim through that gives you an idea of what to expect. To use the 3D swim through just click on the arrow in the lower left corner for the guided tour or click on the screen for a self-guided tour.

If they were going to put them on it they would have, I think. There is too much boat traffic, and I bet it would end up being rather difficult when anyone that feels like it, diver or not can tie up to the wreck, and hang out all day fishing and barbecuing, or whatever. It is easy enough to get on the wreck without them, and if you think about it, we are probably better off without them.

I disagree. The Spiegel Grove has mooring buoys and it is great to tie up and drop down with lines already on the ship. The less I have to worry about my boat in the hands of someone else, the better.

I would prefer mooring buoys to people dropping anchor on the site.

Spiegel Grove is an entirely different situation. It is located in a marine sanctuary and is out of the way of regular boat traffic, and there is no fishing allowed there. The only people that tend to show up to the Spiegel are dive boats. In contrast to the Lady Luck which is less than 2 miles from Hillsboro Inlet, in a heavily navigated area of the ocean. We have fisherman, kayakers, weekend warriors, kite boarders, etc, etc.. to contend with. It is already hard enough to hit the wrecks you want to without moorings. If you think these balls will somehow make things better, I can guarantee they will not. If you do disagree strongly, contact NOAA, and the city of Pompano Beach. Not only will you have to somehow convince them that they are NEEDED (they are not) but you will also have to figure out a way to pay to install and maintain them, and then you will need a funding source for insuring them. Good luck. We have over 20 shipwrecks in Pompano Beach, and none of them need mooring balls. You can tie in, hot drop, drop a grapple hook, or anchor into any of our wrecks, with zero issues. I am not sure why you feel that mooring balls are needed, but please share your viewpoint on that.

I was told they are not putting mooring balls on it for a fact. I dove it last Tuesday and Wednesday. They also do not want you to drop anchor anywhere near it for fear of damaging the art work on the ship. You would need to drop anchor in the nearby sand. They did say that you could tie into it though and I am sure that is what most of the dive ops in the area will do. DM does a fast drop and more than likely tie into one of the masts. It took two drops for us to hit the wreck with a live drop and if you do not get down quick the current will blow you right past it. (of course conditions can change from day to day)

I was told they are not putting mooring balls on it for a fact. I dove it last Tuesday and Wednesday. They also do not want you to drop anchor anywhere near it for fear of damaging the art work on the ship. You would need to drop anchor in the nearby sand. They did say that you could tie into it though and I am sure that is what most of the dive ops in the area will do. DM does a fast drop and more than likely tie into one of the masts. It took two drops for us to hit the wreck with a live drop and if you do not get down quick the current will blow you right past it. (of course conditions can change from day to day)

They wont be placing any moorings on Lady Luck, or any other wrecks in Broward County any time soon, for the reasons I stated above.

Who relayed that information about "they" to you? - FWC? Broward Sheriff's office? Some dude you met on a dive boat? The scuba police? Whoever it was has no say in how the wreck is dove. We can feel free to hot drop, tie in, anchor, free-dive whatever floats your boat. Worrying about some artwork 128FT below the surface of the ocean sounds like a great exercise in worrying. What the fisherman do not destroy the ocean will in short order, have no fear. I saw someone already has ripped poker chips off the poker table, ripped out the console panel from the wheelhouse, and several of the sand dollars from atop the wheelhouse are gone. If the control panel is still there in a month, I will be shocked.

They wont be placing any moorings on Lady Luck, or any other wrecks in Broward County any time soon, for the reasons I stated above.

Who relayed that information about "they" to you? - FWC? Broward Sheriff's office? Some dude you met on a dive boat? The scuba police? Whoever it was has no say in how the wreck is dove. We can feel free to hot drop, tie in, anchor, free-dive whatever floats your boat. Worrying about some artwork 128FT below the surface of the ocean sounds like a great exercise in worrying. What the fisherman do not destroy the ocean will in short order, have no fear. I saw someone already has ripped poker chips off the poker table, ripped out the console panel from the wheelhouse, and several of the sand dollars from atop the wheelhouse are gone. If the control panel is still there in a month, I will be shocked.

The information I gave was simply to follow up on what you said as truth, my apologies as that has appeared to offend you. The info I got was both from the Pompano Dive Center (got my tanks filled there) and a from a local law enforcement officer that I am friends with. Has this satisfied your "demand" for the source of my knowledge?

The request to not anchor on the ship is from the very people that sank it, and I don't ever think I stated it was "against the law" if you did.

Shipwreck Park Pompano

Capture.JPG

The information I gave was simply to follow up on what you said as truth, my apologies as that has appeared to offend you. The info I got was both from the Pompano Dive Center (got my tanks filled there) and a from a local law enforcement officer that I am friends with. Has this satisfied your "demand" for the source of my knowledge?

The request to not anchor on the ship is from the very people that sank it, and I don't ever think I stated it was "against the law" if you did.

Shipwreck Park Pompano

View attachment 378569

You did not offend me, relax. I simply wanted you to stop speaking in generalities, and state specifically where your information came from. Any time I hear "they", alarms go off. You did so, and I appreciate that. I figured it was an employee of one of the local charters that told you that. I will say I find it a little annoying when people begin publicly fantasizing their stream of conscious as facts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom