Ladies: What do you wear on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a lady, but on every liveaboard I went there was at least a bathroom directly accessible from the diving deck. Most of us, not only ladies, did use it to wear dry clothes (shorts or whatever we need) without any problem. You could take into consideration to use it even donning your wetsuits.
For cover-up, once you are sheltered, you can wear whatever you like and feel appropriate.

Thanks, but I don't want to wear regular dry clothes underneath a wetsuit,
How about this one? Good coverage and comes in a good range of sizes.

Women's Cotton Full-zip Cover-up
KathyV, thanks!! I looked and that is a great cover-up at Lands End, even better 40% sale.

I often wear t-shirt type jersey dresses on a liveaboard, which are comfy and multipurpose. It's hard to find the right ones sometimes but they're out there. I don't think finding super quick drying material is essential since you're not getting wet much on the liveaboard, though it probably works out better if they're not 100% cotton. Light and breathable is more important to me - easier to pack, and just being lightweight will help with any drying needed. Recently I found the Lu La Roe "Carly" dresses are great for this. They're a polyester/cotton/rayon blend. You're not even supposed to put those in the dryer after washing, so I hang them and they dry surprisingly quickly.

I take 3-4 bathing suits on a liveaboard so I always have a dry one to change into after a dive. I use the tan-through one pieces, just loop through themselves over a railing and they dry quickly.

As far as using the dive deck bathroom, I've never seen anyone putting on a wetsuit there and not sure why someone would? They're typically small so it would be more awkward and take longer. Not to mention tying it up while people would like to use it for it's intended purpose seems rude.

Damselfish, I totally agree about the bathroom/head suggestion. I will look at Lu La Roe - thanks for the suggestion!

I often wear t-shirt type jersey dresses on a liveaboard, which are comfy and multipurpose. It's hard to find the right ones sometimes but they're out there. I don't think finding super quick drying material is essential since you're not getting wet much on the liveaboard, though it probably works out better if they're not 100% cotton. Light and breathable is more important to me - easier to pack, and just being lightweight will help with any drying needed. Recently I found the Lu La Roe "Carly" dresses are great for this. They're a polyester/cotton/rayon blend. You're not even supposed to put those in the dryer after washing, so I hang them and they dry surprisingly quickly.

I take 3-4 bathing suits on a liveaboard so I always have a dry one to change into after a dive. I use the tan-through one pieces, just loop through themselves over a railing and they dry quickly.

As far as using the dive deck bathroom, I've never seen anyone putting on a wetsuit there and not sure why someone would? They're typically small so it would be more awkward and take longer. Not to mention tying it up while people would like to use it for it's intended purpose seems rude.

So, I went to the Lu La Rue website and you cannot purchase on-line, and their map is "updating". Did you purchase your Carly dresses in a retail store?

If it's warm enough, I don't mind staying in my bikini, but when I work, I keep the bottom of my suit, dry the top and put a fleece jacket to warm up between dives.

If I do more than 2 dives, I dry and put some normal clothes on.

For underneath the wetsuit, have you try to find shorty for swimming ? It's really popular in europe, you find it almost everywhere.

So, I went to the Lu La Rue website and you cannot purchase on-line, and their map is "updating". Did you purchase your Carly dresses in a retail store?
Lu La Roe sells through "consultants." Kinda like tupperware. Some sell online, but I've bought all mine though popup shops at a couple yoga studios. That way you can try on if you haven't before, plus they change their fabric designs constantly (seems everything is sort of limited edition) so I think that makes online trickier to do. If you google "lularoe near columbus ohio" you'll find lots of listings of peoples websites and facebook pages and can find something. Found this for one - Find LuLaRoe™ Consultants in Columbus, OH | Direct Sales Aid. And here's what looks like a big event near you soon - Lulamania at the Franklin County Fairgrounds

I do the same thing that @Damselfish does & take 3-4 bathing suits so I can change into a dry suit in between many of the dives. I started doing this after a female dive instructor skeeved me out with her story about getting crotch rot after a liveaboard holiday. <shudder> (I also bring 2 dive skins as well & use one for my morning dives & the other for the afternoon.)

I like to bring hiking shorts & rashguard tops instead of pullovers since they're made to dry quickly. I also bring something warm to layer on top since I often get cold when inside.

I used to change into shorts and a t-shirt on liveaboards in between dives, but after being in some rough/rainy weather for a few days and getting wet anyway, I liked how many of the other women were wearing cover up dresses. I switched to cover up dresses that look great and aren't see through or too short.

I'm not sure which stores you have in your area, but I've bought some really nice ones at Bikini Village, Aqua by La Vie en Rose, and Bikini Bay.

I wear a 5mm wetsuit in all water temps down to 75F and then switch to a dry suit for anything colder. With my wetsuit I like to wear a ras guard that has a shelf bra built in fur modesty. Bottoms I either wear bathing suit bottoms or nylon spandex shorts (like hammers). They reach to about 3 inches above The of my knees (that's what? 8 in inseam?). Makes putting on my wetsuit so much easier.
Or I wear a one piece swimsuit. I put on a Land End cotton cover up dress in black (reaches to just above the knees). I can actually put it on part way and slip out of my bathing suit on the deck without ever flashing any sensitive eyes :)
Perfect for lunch and dinner when we go inside.
I also have a Chammyz zip up hoodie that us oversized and perfect for after night dives.

My wife wears a sarong/pareu over her bathing suits. She changes into a dry bathing suit after each dive, as I do too.

I also bring about 4 bathing suits so I can change into a dry suit after diving, I hate sitting around in wet clothes. I also bring 2 dive skins and a light jacket and sweat pants for when it gets cold. But I bring a lot fewer shorts, tee-shirts, shoes, and street clothes; and I don't bother with a lot of make-up, curling iron, etc. for a LOB trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom