Lack of diving infrastructure in Alaska ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive shop in jnu closed. Does the welding supply place do tank vis?

Actually the scuba tank in Juneau is open ( I talked to him last week) Monday to Friday the former owner is running it after the shop owner died in a scuba accident this summer

If you have a lot of money and want to set up a dive operation. PLEASE come to Sitka. I would love to dive and have access to a quality dive shop. It bites having to send everything out for service, In fact I am having to plan a weekend trip out of town to get my Visuals done on my tanks.

I don't have a lot of money but I know someone who can put up a dive operation there if he is convinced that it would not be an all out loss. Even if the business is a break-even business he will do it for sometime, I know that. But I think it would require me to come there look around, take a few pictures, log a few dives and get a feel of the place and then sit down and do an accurate costing of how much investment would be needed and what kind of returns are we looking at. From all the info that Herb Alaska has shared, I think it is still a do-able project but something that must start small and then grow from there :).

I you want a good idea about what to expect, treat it as a fishing charter and break down the costs:

-Vessel 30-45 feet thats around 30,000 for a pile and 400,000 for something that runs and will be turn key. Anything under 30 feet is stupid going on open water with a lot of people. Plus a zodiac rib craft for getting to the dive locations.

-Experenced crew and captian, and they are not cheep.

-Slip to store the vessel when its not charted, the price is per foot and its ~150-200$ per month and more for commerical vessels -repair service I would low ball a 1000$ per month since with heavy use comes high damage

-fuel cost per day at 200 gallons burned 800$

Im not trying to discourage you but this is the facts, and if it was easy we would have a lot more dive charters. I don't know the total cost per day but it isn't cheep.

Actually the scuba tank in Juneau is open ( I talked to him last week) Monday to Friday the former owner is running it after the shop owner died in a scuba accident this summer

I'm the former owner - it's actually my former employee that is running it for now.

I'll tell you from my point of view -

1. The cost isn't much higher than anywhere else - Really
2. if you build it they will come - we have ~1,000,000 cruise passengers come ti Juneau each year. If you invest in something and want to work it, it's there. I know several successful tour operators.
3. Not in the least - That's hogwash
4. Advertising out of Alaska - The internet - Get a booth at DEMA, Magazines - Nope not true
5. Maybe, but it's not like we are broke and SBA loans aren't that hard to get. Remember, we haven't been hit with the economy being down like you all have.

The Nautilus is successful because it caters to a certain clientele. There are sightseeing charters running around here that don't mess with diving and charge a lot more than Nautilus does.

This is why I never got into the charter/tourism business.
1. I had a day job, my wife ran the store during the day as her job.
2. We have a family and my wife and I refused to give up family time to the store.
3. I wanted to cater to locals. Locals lose out enough to tourist, half our freaking town is boarded up in the winter. My business was about the locals.
4. Since it was for the most part just the 2 of us, we were busy enough without messing with tourist.

In reality, the business is there 1 Million people a year if 1% went diving that's a fair amount. You just need the $$$ to get started. Then out up a good website, advertise on scubaboard and boom you are rolling.

Just one other problem 95% haven't dove since certification 10 years ago and they have never seen a drysuit!

Tristan I am not trying to be condescending but your numbers are way off they may be correct for the gulf but not for SE Alaska

1 30 to 45 foot boat. To big slow and expensive you want economical quick but comfortable for 6 divers so you can do it with a 6 pack coastie lic

Boat nice brand new boat 150,000

Fuel 100 per day running single outboard you may hit 250 if you run twins and are running all day But you would actually make the run and achor

Harbor fees In sitka My 30 foot slip cost 180 per quarter

But you also forgot permits. The Feds want permits for everything commercial. I have no idea about those costs because public lands are open for non commercial at no cost and that is always me

If you have it, run it, You will fill it. However you need to be prepared to deal with the slow start up period. Anyone wants to come to Sitka to see if they could open a shop or just to dive pm and I would love to play tour guide and dive with ya
c
I you want a good idea about what to expect, treat it as a fishing charter and break down the costs:

-Vessel 30-45 feet thats around 30,000 for a pile and 400,000 for something that runs and will be turn key. Anything under 30 feet is stupid going on open water with a lot of people. Plus a zodiac rib craft for getting to the dive locations.

-Experenced crew and captian, and they are not cheep.

-Slip to store the vessel when its not charted, the price is per foot and its ~150-200$ per month and more for commerical vessels -repair service I would low ball a 1000$ per month since with heavy use comes high damage

-fuel cost per day at 200 gallons burned 800$

Im not trying to discourage you but this is the facts, and if it was easy we would have a lot more dive charters. I don't know the total cost per day but it isn't cheep.

Captain Sinbad, I would have to agree with all that Herb-alaska has said about doing a dive charter in SE Alaska. Herb I was unaware that the shop in Sitka had closed, now will have to go even further to get some gear serviced. As far as getting hydros in Juneau, contact Southeast Fire Extinguisher Service, they are the ones that do the tests for the dive shop anyway.

Most divers in Southeast would be more than happy to take you out either by car or by boat. Having been in business (not diving) for 17 years in SE there are many factors that the same business in Lower 48 would not encounter. Diving is best in fall/winter in SE, and weather is the worst at that time, lots of folks have their boats "put up" for the winter.

As of last week the dive shop in Juneau is still open, but it isn't looking good for the future, the diving will still be wonderful, just a tad bit harder to do.

Did someone say fill station? ::): - , I haven't spoke with anyone in a couple weeks, but I'm hopeful that there will continue to be a store in Juneau. I'm self sufficient at this point but, a lot of my dive buddies and former customers aren't and need a shop in town.

Attachments

• photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 155
I drooled over your set-up, but you can do a lot of mixes and as of now I just do air. Is that a booster on the back wall next to the controls? Also what type of compressor do you have?

Back
Top Bottom