LA Times: Retired Teacher and Seahorses...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rog I don't know if your a man of faith but you certainly are a steward to at least one of the earth's creatures, as the bible says we all should be to all. Great work.

Now would be a good time to seek donations from the posters on SB. Do you have a seahorse city go fund me page? You should!

Finding them was fun, maintaining 10 biomes for years is work.. Rog Seahorse Hanson
Welcome! It seemed like the article was accurate, which is rare for journalism about diving. Did you have any comments on how your work was presented? It's extremely impressive. I've taken the ferry from Long Beach a couple times to go diving in Catalina, but I never considered diving there.

Finding them was fun, maintaining 10 biomes for years is work.. Rog Seahorse Hanson
Thanks for your work and for sharing it with us here. It would be delightful to hear more about your Marine kids! Have you got an idea of how old they are? Does anyone know how to figure that out other than by seeing them over a period of years.
Do you know Dave Hirasti? (not sure of the spelling) He has been studying seahorses here in OZ but they tend to disappear for a while then come back. We are fortunate to have a number of them locally. There was a group of 4 that I got particularly fond of.
359-985.JPG
363-954e.jpg

My post number 6 to this thread

In the distant past they were often encountered in the warm months along the break water to the harbors
Hitch-hikers from afar
I suspect others have come along and populate the harbor break water -- a place that is now seldom dove

SDM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Roger Hanson
Welcome to the board !

Perhaps it is time to expand on my statement ...

As a degreed biologist, from a family of biologist I certainly appreciate all your efforts ! For many you have opened new vistas in the UW world and I commend you for your efforts. For others a new area to explore- the breakwaters and piers of SoCal - the prey the sea horse.

In the beginning of recreational diving , which began with SoCal diving - there was only one dive charter boat in the world and that was the "Moray" owned and operated by the late Mort Toggweiler out of Pierpont landing, with the late and certainly great Ron Merker as the first charter dive boat deck hand - The price to Catalina was $4.00.

It was also the golden age of the dive clubs - the age of the boys with club jackets- Almost all are now in the big reef in the sky. During those halcyon days of yesteryear almost every club had some sort of a boat which was seaworthy enough to dive along the break waters. (And avoid the high cost of a Catalina trip) We were after all sorts of game - shell fish, fin fish and the big prizes Anchors !
The great diver Ed Mossbrook who was the first recreational diver to dive Farnsworth in December 1960 (180 feet strait down) held the breakwater anchor record 12 discovered and salvaged in one day!

During the summer months we also, on occasion, encounter all sorts of strange critters including encountering Sea Horses. Not on every dive, but when discovered them they became an item of disscussion between dives or on the way back to shore. When the winter and the lobster season opened I personally don't recall ever seeing a Sea Horse.

I certainly commend you and your utterly fantastic work. It would be appropriate to continue photographing as much as possible to create a photo-document of your little friends. The word is out vie the newspaper article and this board I suspect you will soon behaving company

I would be first in line to see a presmtation at he SCUBA Show next spring -- how about it ?

Sam Miller, 111

Back
Top Bottom