La Jolla snorkeling next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adder70

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be in Escondido for business next week. I've been out of diving for several years so snorkeling is probably the best bet. (Also, rental fees, etc. and snorkeling plus flights is much easier than scheduling diving and flying.)

Is there any way (other than asking here) to find people who want to snorkel, especially during the week in the late afternoon? I'd prefer to avoid paying "tour" fees but I really don't want to snorkel alone.

What are the facilities like along the beaches there? open showers to at least get the salt and sand off? I would consider doing a redeye back to Atlanta as long as I can rinse off before the flight.

Corey

I've been out of San Diego for several years (moved to Atlanta), but La Jolla Cove is probably the only decent place for snorkeling. It's a small, sheltered area. You'll be fine alone. I don't recall showers, but who knows--so much has changed since I left SD that I might hardly recognize it.

La Jolla Cove is probably the best place to snorkel. I do recall there being restrooms with showers up at the top of the stairs. Finding someone to go with you on a weekday afternoon will be tricky, though. You might want to just shell out for a guide. Also parking may or may not work out at that time of day and this time of year; there aren't many spots.

ETA: Not sure if you've been in SoCal waters much, but you're probably going to want at least some type of wetsuit, even for snorkeling, even at this time of year. It's not impossible to do without, but the water down in San Diego can be surprisingly cool, even compared to LA/OC to the north. You could get a delightful warm day with surface temps in the high 70s, or you could catch a day when there's been some cool water coming up from the deep and it's in the low 60s.

You could get a delightful warm day with surface temps in the high 70s, or you could catch a day when there's been some cool water coming up from the deep and it's in the low 60s.

I do a lot in FL springs. about 70 year round. High 70s, awesome! Low 60s, where's my dry suit?!?!

Seriously, I'll look at renting a wetsuit since I don't have one that fits at the moment. Any advice on a place to rent one?

Is 2MM a good thickness since it's pretty cool but you're on the surface so no compression? I may purchase if I can get one here in time. They're not as expensive as I feared.

I used to wear a thin shorty wetsuit for summer snorkeling around here (though I need a 7mm or drysuit for diving), so I wouldn't get too hung up on thickness. You might even be fine without one, but it's better to have one just in case. It's also good sun protection. I'm sure you can rent one nearby; I'm just not familiar with the shops in the area.

Serious advice: Shuffle your feet when entering the water at La Jolla. I didn't, so I stepped on a stingray and paid the price. It's been 20 years, and I still have the scar and residual nerve damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom