La Jolla Cove Guide recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schuylerclark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are visiting San Diego at the end of August and are looking for recommendations on a guide for La Jolla Cove. We're both Advanced and Nitrox certified, have our own gear and are quite comfortable shore diving on our own, but are thinking it would be nice to have a guide to show us around the site. Any recommendations or thoughts from those more familiar with the area? We're pretty set on a day at the cove but we may also book a boat charter if we get another scuba day while we're there.

I hear the sea lions are "playful" - will they mess with you or is that not a thing? I've heard tales of regs being knocked out of diver's mouths - I'm guessing that's rare, but I'm not sure what we can expect.

Also, I'm generally fine diving in 72F in the Florida springs with just a 3mm. Everything I read suggests a 7mm for San Diego, but it seems like average water temps in late summer are around 70F, and this year is probably going to break the record. Am I missing something? Is there a significant thermocline? Can I get by with a 3mm with a 2mm vest and shorts layered on top (and hood, gloves and boots) or should I plan on a rental?

Thanks y'all

I don't have a recommendation on a guide. Call local shops if you need one. I can give you some pointers if you want to go on your own.

You might run into seals or sealions - they won't mess with you.

I would not go in a 3mm. I would suggest a 7mm or 5mm. Surface temps may be 70s but there is generally a thermocline.

It's been a decade since I did this, but I went thru Scuba San Diego when I had a chance to do a few dives out there. Ended up being Rod Watkins, the owner, who's been diving there since forever - I don't know if he has others also guiding dives so can't speak to that. I booked two days - did day 1 at La Jolla Shores and Day 2 at the Cove. Enjoyed both days, even though I tweeked a calf muscle on day 1. Made climbing the steps at the Cove on day 2 fun... I would definitely recommend Rod and Scuba SD again.

I took my drysuit with me - probably overkill for the dives we did really. A 7mm would have traveled better...

I got certified in San Diego in a 7 mm, but if you're good with a 3 mm in the FL springs (72F), then I think your suggestion of a 3 mm with a 2 mm vest might be okay for you for a short dive. I wear a drysuit in the FL springs, and the few times I dived wet I used a 5 mm with a 3 mm vest (and was chilled). Why not just rent a 7 mm suit and be toasty? There should be plenty of rental suits available.

Thanks for all the input! I suspected there might be a significant thermocline, so it sounds like renting a 7mm will be the way we go.

My wife and I are visiting San Diego at the end of August and are looking for recommendations on a guide for La Jolla Cove. We're both Advanced and Nitrox certified, have our own gear and are quite comfortable shore diving on our own, but are thinking it would be nice to have a guide to show us around the site. Any recommendations or thoughts from those more familiar with the area? We're pretty set on a day at the cove but we may also book a boat charter if we get another scuba day while we're there.

I hear the sea lions are "playful" - will they mess with you or is that not a thing? I've heard tales of regs being knocked out of diver's mouths - I'm guessing that's rare, but I'm not sure what we can expect.

Also, I'm generally fine diving in 72F in the Florida springs with just a 3mm. Everything I read suggests a 7mm for San Diego, but it seems like average water temps in late summer are around 70F, and this year is probably going to break the record. Am I missing something? Is there a significant thermocline? Can I get by with a 3mm with a 2mm vest and shorts layered on top (and hood, gloves and boots) or should I plan on a rental?

Thanks y'all
How's it going! So, these past days was my first time out at La Jolla Cove & Shores. Both dive shops I went to said, "Just go out and you'll be fine". One dive shop has slate boards for sale created by local SD diver, he mapped the Cove so there is your guide! (DM for name of shop, I don't promote)

I'm definitely not as experienced as you and your wife, but I felt completely comfortable "on my own." There are a lot of snorkelers, kayakers and fellow Divers so you'll run across people both above & below. The broad area is basically a large rectangle with specific locations within, but that entire area is full of life so you'll see a lot.

Wetsuit: The other day a small woman was wearing a 3mm shorty out at the Cove, she stated she was comfortable. There are showers and bathrooms to wash your gear above the Cove. If you dive from there, just leave your stuff on the beach and it will be fine.

Notation: I think a smarter way to dive is to park at the Shores, take a Uber over to the Cove only with your diving gear, enter there and exit the at the Shores. Why? Parking/Traffic is atrocious at La Jolla Cove. It makes sense when seeing dive location map.Maybe more experienced people can comment on this.

Note: LDS's don't open til 9/10am so get your air the day before if you want to dive early.

I'm new to diving, I don't know much and love to learn! Please correct me if something is incorrect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240810-080228.png
    Screenshot_20240810-080228.png
    790.5 KB · Views: 12
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom