Kyalami offering Avelo training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From a post on their FB group: Kyalami Konnection | Hope some of you can join us for these trainings… space is extremely limited to give us a call today | Facebook

1723232544809.png

We are jumping for joy over something new and exciting coming to the Kyalami Family… introducing the Avelo system.
Avelo is not just a new piece of scuba equipment; it’s a new diving discipline that uses the combination of a Jetpack and a Hydrotank to achieve perfect neutral buoyancy. Unlike traditional BCDs, the Avelo System eliminates the instability caused by air pockets. By adding or purging water from the Hydrotank, you can maintain stable buoyancy, reducing air consumption and the risk of uncontrolled ascents. This makes for a safer, more enjoyable dive experience.
We are offering 4 mini one-day courses that will allow you to experience the newest technology in diving - August 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th. The course involves online learning, a quick classroom review at the shop and then 2 certification dives aboard the Kyalami Too in Palm Beach.
Check out this link or DM us for more info: https://www.thescubaclub.com/.../avelo-system-mini-courses

From their website:

Course Details:

Recreational Avelo Diver (RAD) Specialty Course
This one-day certification begins with online learning, followed by in-person training with our expert Avelo instructors. The course concludes with two certification dives from our boat, "Kyalami Too."

• Cost: $550 (includes Avelo equipment rental, dive charter, online and in-person training)
  • Schedule:
    • Available Mini-Course Dates: August 12th, 13th, 14th, & 15th
    • 7:30 AM: Introduction to the Avelo System and online learning review
    • 9:30 AM: Board "Kyalami Too" for certification dives, concluding around 3 PM
Note: Each of these dates offers a single-day course, allowing you to choose the one that best fits your schedule based on availability.

Optional: Register for a second day of guided diving to master the Avelo System for an additional $100 equipment rental and $110 boat ticket fee.

Requirements:

• Must be Open Water certified and have dived within the last month.

Force-E is an Avelo dive center. It will be interesting to see if Avelo takes off in SE Florida.

It is such a proprietary, expensive (currently) technology with, in my opinion, limited utility vs. traditional open circuit, I would be shocked to see it really take off here in SEFL. We may start seeing them on occasion, but I doubt it goes beyond that. I could be very wrong though. Have been before. Time will tell.

It is such a proprietary, expensive (currently) technology with, in my opinion, limited utility vs. traditional open circuit, I would be shocked to see it really take off here in SEFL. We may start seeing them on occasion, but I doubt it goes beyond that. I could be very wrong though. Have been before. Time will tell.
I'm a reasonably experienced diver. I believe it is difficult for divers who have not experienced the Avelo system to comment on it

I will dive Avelo again in Bonaire this October. Perhaps I will dive Avelo in SE FL with Force E. At least I have the opportunity.

I'm a reasonably experienced diver. I believe it is difficult for divers who have not experienced the Avelo system to comment on it

I don't disagree, but what about my comments are incorrect? It is proprietary (one company), expensive (clearly) and of limited utility (assuming you are already an experienced diver). Maybe it absolutely takes off. Time will tell. I'm not an early adopter of anything. It is just not in my temperament. I doubt I will ever have the desire nor need to dive one. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see them in actual use in SEFL.

Yeah, I agree. It's a niche within a niche. At least for now. If the system drops in price considerably, then perhaps. But I just don't see the need.
On the use of the system, I agree to a point.

However, Avelo is touting this system using grossly inflated weight for a standard scuba system. All that to show a significant weight savings. If that were true, they may have a point. In my case, the differences in weight between my gear and Avelo is much more moderate. Maintaining neutral buoyancy is just not enough of a problem for me to justify the cost of a certification. Let alone the cost of the system.

I'm sure the system works great as intended. It is an interesting innovation. Avelo Marketing, however, does nothing for me.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom