KVI Tower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dr_shappero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've heard from many people that this location is a great dive, but most get there by boat. I am going to be on Vashon this weekend and was wondering about this site's potential as a shore dive. I checked out the usual shore diving websites with no real help, most of the reviews started out "I usually dive here by boat, but...". I was wondering if anyone could offer more information on a shore dive here. How easy is it to get to the water? Surface swim? Where is it (read, driving directions)? Thanks for the help.

-Keith

I have dove KVI a few times but always by boat. I don't know if it is doable as a shore dive. Good Luck..

I don't know anyone who's done it as a boat dive, but there is a little info here, which might help you out: http://www.seaotter.com/marine/html/kvi.html. Every time I've done the site, I've done it by boat, and it looks like quite a long surface swim and hike in with gear.

I don' t know what shore access is like to the site; you could take the main Vashon highway from the Fauntleroy dock down to SW 204th, turn left, head to the water on Ellsport Rd, and then left again on Chautauqua Beach Road along the coast. That should get you close to the site. I'm not sure what the private property situation and parking is like down there. There's a really good aerial photo of the site here: http://www.harle.cc/sites/kvitower.asp which clearly shows a road entrance on the west side of the KVI property.

It's a good site; currents have always been minimal and it makes for a relaxing dive. I personally find the best things at this site, in particular, are in the 85 - 100 foot range. I usually can find four or five octos there, hiding out in the boulder field, and there's also almost always a few groups of ratfish down there as well. My very first Puget Sound boat dive was on this site, at around 5 PM one December, and I managed to spot a huge GPO out and free-swimming, searching for supper.

The last time I was there, I jumped in and almost landed on a big dogfish sitting in around 40 feet of water. I've also found a few varieties of sea squirts there that I've never seen anywhere else in the sound; these, again, were down around 90 feet or so. So, even though I don't consider this one of the best Puget Sound sites, mostly due to the boring terrain, I always seem to find something interesting down there in the way of fauna.

The shallows at KVI tower, contrary to the review on the site I pointed to, seem to be less interesting to me, even though I enjoy small critters and photography. I think there are better shallow dive sites to be found with lots more life and more interesting natural terrain instead of the artificial reef.

Vashon / Maury has a bunch of great sites all around it that you could try out if this one is too far to swim.

I've done it from the land, a low tide is best. It's a long flat walk. Limited parking, but public access through KVI's property. Very long. I wouldn't do it in the middle of the day. Nice dive, you enter just west of the entrance off the sand spit. Lots to see.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom