Kungkungan Bay and Lembeh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sully3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everybody

just wanted to hear what anyone thinks of Kungkungan Bay Resort and Lembeh Resort. We are thinking of going next year, and KBR/Lembeh Resort are the two operations we are looking at.
All info is welcome about the resorts themselves, the dive operations, and the of course the diving:D. Lembeh is at the very top of my dream dive destination list
thanks
Matt

Last edited:
You have a little bit of a dilema....hard choice but I would lean towards Kungkungan Bay Resort - we tried hard but could not find anything to complain about.

Have a read of our recent trip report to Kungkungan Bay Resort

We spent 5 days at KBR in late 2006. I loved it. The site is beautiful, and the buildings are lovely. They were made with the trees they had to cut down to put the place in, and the stone in the showers is from blasting the road. The main building sits out over the water and has fantastic views. The cabins are very comfortable, with fans, and some had AC.

The food was really good, with lots of choices. They met the boats with hot tea and cookies, and took your dinner order at the dock after the last dive.

The boats were small and fast, and the rides were short. The guides were delightful -- they didn't all speak good English, but they sure spoke critter. They knew where the fun stuff was at each site (the briefing wasn't really structure or direction, but navigation by marine life).

We had an amazing time, and it was "normal" on dives to see things that I guess people spend their whole diving lives trying to find -- rhinopias, flying gurnards, boxer crabs, hairy frogfish, you name it, we saw it. Except a mimic octopus, which I dearly wanted to find.

I can't think of a single criticism of the KBR operation, except that, when the guides want to show you something really cool, they flash their dive lights like they're out of gas, and it was three days into the trip before I stopped jumping every time they did it :)

We stayed at kbr last year, and highly recommend them for upscale accommodation at lembeh. Their boat is small but very fast. Warm towel and fresh pineapple after each dive. They found all the critter list we gave them Inc. Blue ring, flamboyant, mimic, and hairy frogfish. The building is a bit old but still in good condition, all facing lembeh strait, practically no steps.

I've been to Lembeh Resort 3 times and headed for my 4th time in November. Heard good things about KBR but really enjoy the house reef at Lembeh for solo diving in the evening and early AM and the dive operation is excellent, I also find the meals and accommodations to be excellent. I have three trips reports posted about Lembeh resort.

House reef at Lembeh Resort is the best mandarin dive of anywhere I've been in SE Asia. Great resort, food & guides. The only possible downside for some may be that its a giant stairmaster - lots of steps eveywhere.

Spent 10 days at KBR in June. Diving is fantastic. Shore dive at resort has to be timed around the tides, there can be a very strong current. Staff is wonderful and food is good. Kaj gave everyone in our group ( 11 of us) equipment while we waited for ours to catch up to us, took three days. Would go back there in a heartbeat!!! Some photos from our trip can be viewed here Photo Gallery

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom