Kula, on the Big Island or ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

97fxdwg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All - I'm wondering where in the world I want to move to, I work a remote job in Alaska and can live where I want. It's time for a change now and since during one trip to Hawaii I rode up to Kula and found it to be beautiful, thought of there as a possibility. Any thoughts about that neck of the woods. Catherine of Hawaii, any input? Anyone else, where would you live if you could live anywhere???

You're referring to upcountry on Maui, right? I have a local brother who lived in Makawao for a while. He rented a room in a hous. It was pretty nice there, and Kula is even more remote up the hill - they grow a lot of proteas and onions there. Probably a lot of dope too if you go where you have no business going. My other local brother was a grower on Oahu, Hawaii and probably Maui.
Maui has a Costco near the airport, and it's ok if you can avoid the traffic that snarls up.

I was confused about the island for Kula. Too much rum I guess. So from what you say it sounds just "Okay" but not paradise?

All depends what you want from paradise. When I go to the North Shore on Oahu, see the houses and the life style. Things are built a bit farther apart and things are a bit more laid back I think - Cool, I'd like it here...then I think if I have a special need from a store or need a bit more medical care I have to drive "all the way" to the other side of the Island to get it....then I think maybe Kaimuki (back side of Diamond Head)...smaller yards, close to town - but even more expensive....Then I look where we live. It's small - but it is close to everything - shopping, sites, beach, work, everything! So, for me - I found my piece of paradise in Waikiki.

Congratulations - It must be a great feeling to know you've found the right place for you. I'm moving FROM the East Bay area in California but I don't know where TO. Maybe west South Carolina, east Texas, Kula Maui??

Thanks, I moved from Chicago to Germany to here...I'm happy. Best you start making a check list. Look what those areas have to offer you, opportunities, jobs, activities...hard choice. Good luck with it...

Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and Indonesia all have as good or better diving than Hawaii and it's way cheaper to stay in any of those countries. But, if money is no object the Big Island and Maui (or any of the Hawaiian Isles) have to be a couple of the most beautiful places on Earth.

El Orans:
How about Christchurch, New Zealand?

I've been there and LOVED it. Long flight from Alaska though, and spendy too! I work a regular schedule up here and so am fortunate in not having to work where I live. I feel a long, fun bike trip coming up.
Anyone else with good ideas of places to check out?

Wow - all that time I spent in Waikiki and I didn't realize I was in paradise!
For the people who live in Kula and other parts of upcountry Maui, they wouldn't live anywhere else. You need to spend a little time there and see how you fit in.
Christchurch is an awesome city - I managed to get there twice and loved it both times. The diving is way better on North Island though, but the southern part of South Island is staggering beautiful.
Right now though, I'm kinda leaning towards Bequia in the Grenadines as the next haven. This will probably open up a flood of hate mail since Bequia is currently to harvest an annual quota of four whales per year through the IWC, but hey - it's their island. There are some pretty amazing parts of the Bahamas but they're more expensive than southern Floriduh now.
Alaska Airlines flies into Miami now which opens up some possibilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom