Kudos to Prodiver Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, not to beat a dead (sea)horse, but there was no sea life to speak of when I dove there. As far as suggestions for a second dive, you have me there. I have little familiarity with second dive sites coming back from Molokini.
My biggest point, and one which I would enjoy feedback on, is: which dive boat operator would be best to ensure a dive on the backwall?
Thanks.

quietstorm: when was it that you dove the St. Anthony?

It's interesting that there was no life to speak of -- either this was before it became populated (as in, the artificial reef was just created) or the sea life had good reason to not be around. Did you happen to notice any shadows out in the blue, or feel like you were being watched? Tiger sharks have been known to cruise in and around that area (not usually seen, but I've seen reefs go completely void of life just about instantaneously as the fish all find their hiding spots).

As for second dives -- though few operators do this, I enjoy doing both dives at Molokini... there's enough to explore there that you'll be hard-pressed to use up all the sights in even a dozen or so dives.

With regards to the Backwall.
As far as I know there is really only one operator that will "guarantee" a Backwall dive, and that is Maui Dive Shop that does it as a 1-tank excursion some mornings. Then they return to the dock, swap out passengers and go back for a 2-tank dive in the crater or along the coastline.

Because of this out-and-back business, and that the Backwall's conditions are never predictable, I really can't recommend this option.

Other operators that are likely to do the Backwall: Mike Severn's Diving and Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures (I also cannot recommend the latter -- PM for details). Of course, this all depends on the experience level of the divers on board, as it will with both Prodiver and Makena Coast Charters that happen to do this dive every so often as well.

Went to St. Anthonys in Aug '05....saw BIG Frogfish, lots of turtles, lots of Trumpetfish, but no shadows.....we scootered out from shore with ShakaDoug and had a fabulous time.

Later on we dived Ahihi with Tim....fun dive as well.

I want to add another comment in support of the St. Anthony's --I've been there a number of times... and it is a different experience than a typical reef dive...

In terms of sea life... Everytime I've been there, I've seen a number of turtles... we usually joke about them having their 'signs' out saying "Photos - $1.00" -- They always seem ready to pose. A large frog fish is typical.

A small light can turn those tires into quite the experience - I've seen banded pipe fish, leaf scorpion fish...a HUGE octopus.... ('stood' from the tips of it's tentacles to the top of it's head and covered the entire tire opening), devil scorpion fish, flounder, crabs, shrimp.....

The report of no sea life leaves me wanting to ask questions about de-fog and prescription masks.

(But... of course... different strokes for different folks.....)

KrisB: did the dive in October of last year, and no, I did not have the feeling that we were being watched....seems from the other comments on this subject that I must have been at this site on an off day. Thank you for the input on sites, backwall, operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom