KRAKATOA-Has anyone dived or climbed this volcano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-SCUBADAVE-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Needing Info. On Krakatoa. Where To Stay? Dive Operators? Weekend Liveaboards Maybe? Safety Concerns? Also, Heard Jakarta Has Unsafe Areas??? Any Info Would Be Greatly Apreciated. Thanx, -scubadave-

Hi scubadave
We did diving Krakatau when we lived in Jakarta 3 years ago. Nice site, underated. Being local, we arranged everything ourself. Krakatau can be reached within 1 hour with speedboat form Marina anyer - 1.5 hour by car from Jakarta if you start early morning.
Not many operator offer daily trip to Krakatau - the sea can be very chopy, you'll need powerfull speedboat. Don't use small wooden boat.
There's lot of nice accomodation in Anyer - our favourite is Hotel Java - Anyer (Indonesia): Sol Marbella - Sol Meliá Hotels & Resorts.
I don't think this resort has diving operation but I believe they can also arrange diving trip to Krakatau. Or you may contact Planet Diving Indonesia :: Diving In Jakarta Indonesia - they can offer day trip - normally during week end to Krakatau, Shangyang, and Ujung kulon.
To my knowledge, the only LOB serves western java is Cecelia AnnJava Sea Charters based at marina anyer. Never use them so can't comment their service.

Re,. Jakarta safety issue - with 12 million people typical big city there's always an unsafe place particularly if you walk alone with Rolex watch or gold nekclace. We lived there for many years and even regularly visit jakarta every year; there's thousand expat live there too, if you are interesting with their view, check Living in Indonesia, Site for Expatriates-Jakarta Indonesia
Let me know if you need more info

Cheers

I dove there with the infamous Kapal Selam dive club a few years ago and had a fantastic time. I don't remember the diving though. :D Actually, what I do recall is that the reefs were incredibly pristine. There were also no divers anywhere in the area when we were there on a long weekend. As best I could tell, there were no other divers within 10 miles. IMHO, it is not a a destination like Bali, Manado, Raja Ampat, etc but if you are going to Java, it is well worth a few days of diving.

Somewhere in Time « Trip Report
Fourth Dive - Tanjung Bajo, Sanghiang « Trip Report

Did not dive , but climbed the volcano and went for a quick snorkel.
We done a day trip in Aug 4yrs ago. Stayed in Sambola for the weekend and got the boat from a nearby hotel.
Hired a speedboat. Outward journey took about 70 mins, the way back took about 3 hrs. Was the scariest boat trip i have been on. Small boat , getting dark , with big waves/swell.
Make sure you go early in the dry season(Apr-Jun) to avoid rough weather on the way back.
The island/volcano was really nice, great view from the top.
It was really expensive to hire a boat but we managed to spread the cost as there were 5 in our party. I think it was about 4-5 million Rps to hire the boat/guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom