Kowaliga Saturday morning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The arm's healin' well enough... we're off the the Lake this Saturday (12/14) to dive the old Kowaliga bridge rubble. The Old Kowaliga Bridge was replaced with a new span in 1971 and converted into a fishing pier, with the center spans removed. By the mid 90's it was condemned, and the state tried to dismantle and remove it. But during the work the south end of the bridge collapsed, killing two workers, and efforts to remove it were abandoned. Instead the remaining structure's pilings were blown out from under it, and the bridge left on the bottom.
Those who want to caravan up are leaving Adventure Sports at 8:30; otherwise meet in the Kowaliga Marina parking lot at 9:30. We plan to make a morning dive, have a leisurely lunch at Sinclair's, and then have one afternoon dive befor heading back to Montgomery. OAT should be in the high 40's and water temp in the 60's. The dive will have a max depth of 70', but more likely we'll stay around 40, so we can get two nice long dives in.
Any of y'all who'd like to join us are more than welcome to do so.
Rick :)

You could have give us a little more notice. Looks interesting. Maybe next time.
E. itajara

Five of the hard corps met at the south end of the old bridge a bit after 9:30 Saturday morning.
The weatherman lied. Overcast, 45 degrees, wind running about 20 kts out of the North... a wee bit on the chilly side. We looked over the site - the lake down about 10 feet from "full pool" so our max depth for this dive was revised to only 30 feet. With the recent rains and the wind stirring up the water we knew the visibility wouldn't be too very wonderful. But hey, it's water, right? We took our time getting set up (some reluctance to the weather, perhaps?) and finally waded in about 10:30.
Not only did the weatherman lie, the water temp report lied. Instead of a reasonable 65, it was a flat 50 on my gauge, 48 on my buddy's.
Now some of you northern ice diving types may scoff at us wimpy southern warm water folk, but for me, 50 just hurts! But it's water, so off we went.
Sliding down with the old roadbed along the right, visibility blossomed to a whopping 4 to 6 feet; the trip across the mud flat to the first rubble seemed forever with nothing recognizable in sight, but finally the first piling loomed up just in time to avoid meeting it with my nose. A quick check behind confirmed a dark blob at my feet, my buddy, and a barely discernable "ok" verified our other three were still with us.
Along the old roadbed, weaving around the jumbled mass of pilings we crept until turn gas, yet to see any sign of life. I mean, not even so much as a clam, much less any fish. But hey, it's water and we're divin', got air and the drysuit ain't leakin'... life is good!
Back to the beach, change and go to the restaurant for a marvelous grouper sandwich (we're not so far from the gulf we can't at least eat well), some hot tea and debrief the dive. Two of the five have seen all (ha) there is to see and wimp out on the afternoon dive, which the real hard corps of three make. Jackpot! We saw a bass!
So, it ain't the gulf, but it's diving...
Great dives.
Rick :) :) :)

richhagelin once bubbled...
Gee, Sounds like fun. I'll send you a note from Coz

Rich
You're very kind to think of me...
Gotta love it.
Rick :) :) :)

Looks like I did miss a couple of interesting dives. Although, I don't think my 3mm wetsuit would have been sufficent for 50F. Keep me in mind for next trip though. I'll have to rent tanks anyway, so I'll just add a 7mm to the rental bill.

Jarhead

Back
Top Bottom