Konnichiwa from Okinawa!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrowBar

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
New OWD. I'm currently living in Okinawa, Japan, but originally from Texas. Came to the board looking to soak up as much info as I can. Looking forward to expanding my horizons as they relate to all things SCUBA!

Hello all,
New OWD. I'm currently living in Okinawa, Japan, but originally from Texas. Came to the board looking to soak up as much info as I can. Looking forward to expanding my horizons as they relate to all things SCUBA!
So how's the diving in Okinawa?

Diving in Okinawa was actually what stopped me from getting into SCUBA in the first place.

I was on TDY doing some Force Protection/Anti-Terrorism stuff (nothing sexy or exciting) there in Okinawa with a retired Special Forces E-8 who never left Japan. We were walking near a shore and I saw an instructor with a student doing an exercise. The SF guy told me they were doing the freeflow exercise. That freaked me out and kept me from trying out SCUBA for lots of years.

Funny thing is that the exercise was not a big deal for me when I did my OW.

Looks like a good place for diving to me!

Not my video.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Hope you get some good dive trips in while you're in that region of the world.

Richard.

Some of the best diving I have even done, anywhere, was in Okinawa. Enjoy it to the utmost, as you are in one of the best dive sites in the world. The photos were taken in 1968, while diving for the U.S. Air Force as a Pararescueman.

SeaRat

Attachments

• PJ Okinawa Dive003.jpg
    PJ Okinawa Dive003.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 46
  • PJ Okinawa Dive001.jpg
    PJ Okinawa Dive001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 52
  • PJ Okinawa Dive002.jpg
    PJ Okinawa Dive002.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 65
I absolutely love Okinawa. Was stationed there in the 90's. ( Camp Foster ) I kick myself for not getting certified there way back then. We did a lot of cliff jumping and snorkeling at a place called Mida Point I think it was called.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom