Kona Trip in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howard Kaiser

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone..first time using this forum...am planning 10 day trip to Big Island. After much research, we want to use Dive Makai and Kohala Divers since I understand the Kohala dive spots are best...we'd use Makai for a few days and for the night manta dive and 3 tank Adventure Day...then use Kohala for some shore dives and a few days of boat diving. Concerned about drive times if we stayed in Waikoloa Village area...is it easy to drive into town in early AM to catch Makai's boat? Any suggestions for places to eat? Not interested in fancy dining...but don't mind dropping some coin on a great spot. Also, how far to Volcanoes and any other suggestions for top side things to do? Thanks in advance.
Skunk

You're probably looking about 35 minutes to drive to Honokohau Harbor from Waikoloa Village. If you'd like a breakfast along the way, check out Pine Trees Cafe, about midpoint between the airport and the harbor on the mauka (mountain) side of the highway... haven't had their breakfast yet, but have had their lunches and it's got a decent rep for a quick breakfast.

You're probably looking about an hour and a half to the volcano area, I haven't tried Saddle Road since the realignment and resurfacing, so it may be quicker. That road gets awful high though, so treat it like a flight if you are traveling to the other side after diving. If you go the north route through Hamakua, you should be able to drive the morning after diving without issue.

Aloha,

Funny Steve.... I had breakfast at Pine Tree this morning on the way to Honokohau for work :wink: I dig their egg sandwich on the go.

Howard... Good call on Kohala Divers. I personally think the diving on the Kohala coast is A+ Big Island diving. Don't forget about Friscuba's Wanna Dive if you prefer to dive Kona on a smaller service oriented boat.

If you're staying in Waikoloa here is my take on food:

Sansai - Japanese/Asian fusion. They have an early bird special that can't be beat. It used to be half off most of the menu but I think it's now 25% or something. Give them a call and ask. I think it is Sunday/Monday evenings for the discount.

Blue Dragon - A little pricey but an open air restaurant in Kawaihae. I would vote for eating cheap somewhere else and then going to listen to live music here. They get some pretty killer blues acts. My wife and I go there to drink their fancy cocktails now and then.

Tako Taco - An oasis of burrito up in Waimea. They've got some great beer on tap (Rogue's Dead Guy) and are building up a brewing operation this year. The green chili stew can't be beat.

Daniel Theibaut - A semi expensive restaurant in Wimea that has an excellent happy hour. All the bar food is half off and beer/wine is heavily discounted. Go sit at the bar and order before 6:30 PM. Their butternut squash soup shouldn't be missed. Don't bother paying full price after the happy hour.

Huli Sue's BBQ - There's a location up in Waimea for pretty good BBQ. I hear tell they just opened a location at the golf clubhouse in the Mauni Lani resort. Good place to get your meat on. Stick with anything else but the BBQ meat.

The Seafood Bar - In Kawaihae a fun bar with a limited but tasty menu. The poke burger borders on an addiction for me.

Harbor Grill - This place is associated with the Seafood Bar. This is the most reasonable sit down breakfast in the area. Tasty too.

La'au fish market - Across the street from the shops in Kawaihae is a fishmarket that has a lunch truck. The burgers are super tasty (maybe teri flavored?) but the real star is the fresh fish. I like the fish plate lunch which is usually mahi, ahi or ono which can be done a few different ways. You won't find fresher fish. There are picnic tables next to the lunch truck for your grinding pleasure.

Kohala Pacific Diner - A great place for lunch in Kawaihae. Their asian chicken salad is my staple. They're burgers are big and tasty as well. I think the folks that own it are foodie transplants from CA who have adapted themselves to reasonable island fare.

Tres Hombres - Mexican in Kawaihae... please avoid.

Kawaihae Kitchen - I eat here once a week for lunch. A takeout only place that serves sushi and other lunch fare local style. I highly recommend a bento box for breakfast or a sushi bowl for lunch. I get the spicy tuna/shrimp tempora bowl with sushi rice. Yum. Tell'm Eric said Hi.

Cafe Pesto - Slightly expensive but not fancy (I go in there in board shorts for lunch often) in Kawaihae. Their Pizza Luau with kalua pig is tasty. They always have an inventive fresh fish dish that has an island flair. I prefer it for lunch but it's a nice casual place for dinner.

Queen's Shops Food Court - Right in Waikoloa is a pretty good food option. I like the noodle house quite a bit. There are other resturants in the Queen's Shops. Please do stay away from Charlie's Thai. The macaroni grill is fairly usual.

Check this page out for a complete list of Waikoloa food options including the food court.

Pau - Up in Waimea this fancy pizza joint has a great wine list and an array of salads made from local greens. Quick and casual not too pricey.

There's a supermarket of sorts called Island Gourmet Market in the Queen's shops. It's expensive for groceries (even by HI standards) but has some pretty good prepared food including cheap sushi.

For a supermarket I suggest Foodland at the Mauna Lani resort. Small but a good place to stock up on food for your rented condo.

Hope this helps.

-Eric

What? No Hawaiian Style Cafe? I need to make a trip back north again to Waimea just to stop there and get my carb loading for the year.... it's the only place I can remember not finishing my plate since I was about 11 years old.... I laughed when I saw 12 strips of bacon on their two eggs and bacon breakfast, then they brought out the side of pancakes... wow, what a meal! I assume the place hasn't changed much lately, it's a heckuva plate lunch joint.

I haven't been to Tako Taco since the move and expansion either, gotta get there again. Yummy.

You know for some reason I didn't put any plate lunch places on my list at all (except Kawaihae Kitchen). Hawaiian Style Cafe is maybe the best hangover cure ever. The best mocos in the area hands down. A total oversight on my part. Plan on finding a place to nap after your meal.

Other plate lunch places in the area:

Kamuela Deli in Waimea - can you say beef stew omelet? Yes you can.
Gas station in Kawaihae - Hooray for cheap katsu curry
Convenience Store in Kawaihae - if you catch them on pork adobo day you won't be sorry
L&L in Waimea - I ate an L&L in San Diego recently. Ironic.

We're also regulars at Yong's Kalbi in Waimea for fresh cheap Korean food.

Steve... let me know if you're ever up here headed to Tako Taco and we'll join you.

-Eric

If you're making the trip to Waimea, I'd also recommend the Paniolo Cafe for breakfast, and the Italian place (I can't remember the name) in the older, smaller mini-mall along the main street.

I have also been told that the hot dog place at Costco in Kailua-Kona is good, but I can't bring myself to try it.

Tres Hombres - Mexican in Kawaihae... please avoid.

Really? Do you know something I don't? This is the one upstairs, above Kohala Divers and Cafe Pesto, right?

It's not cheap, but I have found the food o.k., and it satisfies my urge for Mexican after diving. Come to think of it, there has never been more than a couple people there when we go (although it's usually around 2pm).

great information!!! We'll buy food to cook for breakfast bt will most definitely take your advice on several of these places...Thanks HK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom