Kona trip 5/1-5/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfcl01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I went with pretty modest expectations because my only other trip to Hawaii was to Maui, about 10 years ago, and I was pretty disappointed. Not so with the Big Island. There was something so cool about gliding over and around lava flows covered with beautiful hard corals. I just don't remember seeing the same beauty on the Maui dives...could they really be that different, or am I just imagining that?

I didnt see any sharks, despite the DMs best efforts to show me the 2 tigers he routinely sees diving just outside the harbor. Other people did, though-a galopagos shark visited the people doing the black water dive one night; some other divers had the privilege of seeing beaked whales. There were alot of dolphins, both during dives and while snorkeling. I havent ever been anywhere where you could absolutely count on hopping in and snorkeling with dolphins like I could at Place of Refuge. Tons of turtles on almost every dive. We also saw a few male Whatley's box fish which is my favorite fish of all time(so far)...looks like blue suede with some white spots on it. Also, the variety of eels was pretty amazing...I love the dwarf eels...so cute, I wanted to pick 'em up and give 'em a little hug....but I resisted. The water was a consistent 76-77. Did the manta dive twice...it was as amazing as everyone said. I know they just show for the food, but it sure looked like there was some friendly showmanship going on. I dove with Big Island Divers, WannaDive, and Bottom Time...all were very good, and I cant say how you could go wrong with any of them

I don't think the Big Island has any unique corals. Since we don't know who or where you dove with on Maui it's hard to understand the comparison. I'm glad Hawaii delivered some good diving for you!

Sean

I have been to Hawaii 3 times (Big Island/Maui 03 then Oahu 05 then this year Big Island/Maui 08) and thought that the corals at "point of refuge" on the Big Island were amongst those that are in excellent shape. The coral was very low growing more like leather coral and it even was somewhat colored in subdued shades of red, green, and yellow. And, we too had great fun snorkeling with the dolphins at P.O.R.
Image091.jpg

You are lucky and thank goodness appreciate it! The Male Whitleys are soooo rare, it’s wondered how the heck the Whitleys are breeding. One of my favorites too. I’ll guess; Two Step? That’s where I’ve seen them.

Amazed to hear the Air vis wasn’t a complaint. Still not the Big Island I know but is getting better, finally. Sounds like you had a great trip, glad to hear it.:)

The air visibility was pretty bad, like there were no days that I saw a bright blue sky over the town, and only twice, really early in the morning, could I see farther up than halfway up the mountains... But the weather was otherwise so good, and there was so much else to look at, that I couldnt bring myself to whine about the vog, not even a little. I am still amazed at how beautiful that island is...even driving up and down Alii drive was a treat. Probably those of you who have been there more than once are not as amazed by it as much as the first time you went.
Fkostyun...I dove with wannadive on the 10th...actually Steve didnt take the trip, his staff did. It was his DM that knew where the Whitley's was, and we saw at least 2 different males, and one female..the females are quite beautiful too; brown instead of blue. They were at Koloko canyons.
One of the Big Island DMs found the bandit angels for us, which was also very very cool...they are much bigger and even prettier in person than in photos.
I dont know what it is, but the fish look bigger and brighter to me in the pacific than in the caribbean, and the paucity of soft corals in Polynesia and Hawaii really isnt a problem for me... A few years ago, it would have been..but after my trip to French Poly, my ideal dive involves canyons of hard coral, bright fish, and bigger critters.

The City of Refuge is one of my favorite shore dives on the Big Island...
I always try to include this location while teaching Private classes there doing at least 1 day from shore and then doing Boat dives to Run Out fantastic diving on the BIG ISLAND..
Yes the Manta Night Dive is Also Must..
Aloha Mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom