Kona shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We've booked the op and we're staying at Kona Village. Last tidbit, is there any decent shore diving on Kona?

TIA!

Lori

Kona has awsome shore diving. Living there with a boat I still did most of my dives from shore. Look up shore diving.com and it has maps and directions. We are going back next weekend ( Memorial day weekend) and Id be happy to show y'all some of my favorites if your there.

Kona has awsome shore diving. Living there with a boat I still did most of my dives from shore. Look up shore diving.com and it has maps and directions. We are going back next weekend ( Memorial day weekend) and Id be happy to show y'all some of my favorites if your there.

Thanks for the link and the offer. My buddy and I will be there in August. We've got morning boat dives booked with one all day trip for a total of 4 days of diving with maybe an afternoon or two from shore. The other 3 days we plan to do the topside tourist stuff. Mt Kiluaea for sure, any other suggestions?

Try combining a trip to Pu’uhonua o Honaunau (Place of Refuge) National Historical Park with some shore diving. A morning spent kayaking Kealakekua Bay (Captain's Cook Monument) is fun - take your snorkeling gear and sack lunch. Kilauea is a must see. It sounds like you will only be there for a week. IMO, it is hard to see too much of the Big Island in a week. Remember, you will have to keep track of your altitude as you drive around the Island. Have a wonderful time....one of my favorite places to visit.

For shore dives, two step and puako would be my top two picks. If you can, take the two hour helo tour. It's spendy but if you book on line it's a 25% discount. Awsome! Most of the time you will not be able to see the lava flow from Volcanos park but you will from the helo. Mauna Kea is worth the drive but rember it's at 14Kfeet so no diving the day before. Waipio valley is also worth the drive.
Whatever you do DO NOT MISS THE MANTA DIVE! BIg Island Divers is now doing a manta dive followed by an open black water dive. See the black water thread. Do this early in the trip in case the dive gets called off for some reason.
Enjoy your visit.
Aloha

Two step = Place of refuge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom