KONA photo classic good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDCB

Reaction score
KONA photo classic good or bad? For me that is. My girlfriend and I have our first Hawaian visit to Kona scheduled for May 11-18. It just so happens that's the week of the photo classic. Is that going to make diving near impossible? Will all the boats be full and the beaches crowded? Will rental gear be hard to get? Will prices be up? We made this reservation back in December not knowing about the Classic. Since then I've read articles about it and thought that it would be cool to see sometime. However I didn't mean this sometime. We are on a really tight budget and were hoping for a really easy laid back trip with the kiddo (just turned 7).

Anyway how does this affect things. BTW we are both new divers with OW and AOW certs. Learned in Monterey, CA and are diving 2-4 times a month.

Blah Blah Blah...

Oh yea...what is the water temp?

Carl

I wouldn't worry about crowds for the Kona Classic if it's like it's been in the past. We're not talking hundreds of entrants, likely a few to several dozen. It will likely tie up the boats of anyone who "sponsors" the event, which probably means 2-4 operators. May is typically one of our slower months, there will be plenty of other dive operators with room going out on their own. If you can find a webpage for the event (I couldn't readily find one) it may list sponsoring operators and you who participators would be going out with.

I would recommend if you don't join in on the event, that you get to know it's schedule and not schedule a night dive on the same night they go out. I haven't been out there on a night when they've been out, but I get the feeling that 30-50 divers with strobes and all could make for a bit of a mess at the manta dive.

Water temip is currently around 75, will likely bump up a degree or two by then.

Have fun,

Thanks Steve best news I could recieve. I'll keep you in mind for some diving. I'm still working out the kid details. I have to make it fun for her. She loves the beach here at Monterey. She swims well had a pool at last home. Just picked up a snorkeling set up for her today. I'm still looking for some day care activities so the mom and I can have a few dives. Hoping for a SASY class for her.

Thanks again Carl

We'll be there during the Kona Classic this year, and we were there last year too. It's a good time. Lots of fantastic photographers around. But, no, everything isn't all crowded as a result. May seems a pretty mellow time in Kona.

Wanna save some money? Shore dive! Kona has great and easy shore diving. You could probably get a baby sitter to hang out at Two Step while you go diving. We tend to save a lot of money going that route.

Jack's boats were full last year for the Kona Classic. They tend to produce a lot of the winners from their own ranks, so they were full every day. It was easy getting spots for the manta dive though. And, face it, there could be 30-50 divers with the mantas any night of the year...

Have fun! I know we will :D

The manta dive specific to the kona classic is only one night so don't sweat the manta dive. Don't worry about being there on that night, if you are not in the contest you won't be there. Concider yourself lucky. Go diving with Steve and he will keep you away from the photo/video crowd.

The Kona Classic is specifically scheduled for a slow month...so no worries for you in that respect. Of the four boats that Jack's has, three are set aside for the event. I believe there are some Kona Classic events that are open to the publice, including a spectacular showing of professional photographers' best work.

Jack's can also offer a SASY lesson in their pool and rent the SASY for you guys to take out on your own.

Thanks cuddlefish. As always SBers are the best.

Hey Greg I might see you there. Check my profile shots. If you see me or us please say hello. Same goes for the rest of my Hawaian friends.

Carl

We, "Kona Honu Divers", are one of the participating operators. You can find more information (including a schedule) here http://www.konahonudivers.com/konaclassic.shtml

The short and sweet of it is that you shouldn't notice any additional crowds, etc ... with the exception of the manta dive on Tuesday 5/8 when you will have 30+ photographers/videographers at the site.

Enjoy your dives,

John

GDCB:
KONA photo classic good or bad? For me that is. My girlfriend and I have our first Hawaian visit to Kona scheduled for May 11-18. It just so happens that's the week of the photo classic. Is that going to make diving near impossible? Will all the boats be full and the beaches crowded? Will rental gear be hard to get? Will prices be up? We made this reservation back in December not knowing about the Classic. Since then I've read articles about it and thought that it would be cool to see sometime. However I didn't mean this sometime. We are on a really tight budget and were hoping for a really easy laid back trip with the kiddo (just turned 7).

Anyway how does this affect things. BTW we are both new divers with OW and AOW certs. Learned in Monterey, CA and are diving 2-4 times a month.

Blah Blah Blah...

Oh yea...what is the water temp?

Carl

Hi, Carl,

I am a little late weighing in here...sorry. May is a great time for Kona and the photo contest is really no problem...unless you dive with Jack's...

I can recommend two other outfits for boat diving:

http://www.sandwichisledivers.com/home.htm

http://www.pacificrimdivers.com/Page.html

They are both great, but it would be a good idea to make your reservations soon just to be sure. And the Kona dive areas are plentiful, so there will not be any "rush hour effect".

Have a great time on the Big Island!

joewr

Back
Top Bottom