Kona- October- Sharks? other ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wdjpvaz

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for advice for a trip to Kona in October. Considering one morning 2 tank dive and the manta night dive. Any recommendations on operators for this combo? Will I need wetsuit on early october? Also, interested in seeing some pelagic life like sharks, (just never dove with shark before so I would like to see one), any specific dive sites for sharks? And if so, how would I even request that specific site?

Thanks!

The Big Island is geologically quite young, so there aren't as many apex predators found as in some parts of the world. We've got a few sites where the whitetip reef sharks tend to rest during the day, but frankly we've run into more where we weren't expecting them lately than the usual spots. Consider it a treat if/when you do run into one. The operators will likely go to a site with potential for sharks if you ask and the water conditions are cooperating, but there are no guaranteed spots.

Right now we're in the 80 degree range for water temperature. Wat type of suit will depend on your body size, cold tolerance and personal preference. Most divers do fine in a 3 mil full year round. I'd highly recommend a full suit for the manta dive. You'll be on your knees or your rear for most of the dive and we need to keep the divers negatively weighted for that dive (neutral weighting makes for divers who can't maintain position clobbering other divers if there's any surge). Sitting in one spot for 40 minutes or longer also leads to getting cold much easier than when on the move.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom