Kona Manta Ray dive December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isabella

New
Reaction score
Hi
I'm really keen to go to Kona Coast to do the Manta Ray night dive - pics look awesome. I'm coming from Japan and my work holidays are Dec 22nd to Jan 3rd.
Is this a good/bad time to do this dive? Obviously there are no guarantees but what are the chances of seeing Manta Ray's at that time of year? Also, are there other good dives in the area?
Thanks
Isabella

There are lots of good dives off of Kona. The manta dive seems to really depend on the swell present at the time. There have been times there are a dozen or more mantas around then, and times there've been none. If your schedule is tight and you need a specific night you'll want to reserve probably 2-4 weeks in advance, as it can be quite busy around the holidays, and hope for the best. If you have a flexible schedule and aren't locked into a particular operator, check to see if they are showing when you arrive and start making phone calls to set up the dive. It's a great dive most of the time.

Aloha,

And don't miss out on the blackwater dive after! Search balckwater right here for details and pics. Enjoy your visit.
Aloha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom