Kona HI shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FM1520

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ill be in Kona HI for the about 10 days over Christmas. I'm looking for recommendations for locations to do shore dives on that side of the island. Thanks!

Ill be in Kona HI for the about 10 days over Christmas. I'm looking for recommendations for locations to do shore dives on that side of the island. Thanks!

Last year we went out with Diving Bell Scuba. Had a great time and will probably go out with them again this year.

Welcome to Diving Bell Scuba

At south side of mouth of Honokohau Small Boat Harbor is Crescent or (Dog Beach.) Just north of Kona. If you've hit Costco you went too far North. A bit of a lava field scramble to the beach but after that the entry is usually easy. Boat traffic the main possible safety issue. Regs say you need a flag/float and that is sometimes enforced. Dolphins, fish, eels, sharks, frogfish, rays, lots of stuff. The coral to the left as you swim out of the small cove is in remarkably good shape. You can go deep but 70-80 usually my max. Keep eye out for Tiger Shark ( which seem a bit afraid of divers u/w for some reason...bubbles ??)and listen for dolphins. A pod of spinner dolphins basically hangs out at the outside mouth of harbor.

If I wasn't traveling I'd gladly show you but there are usually divers around. Don't leave valuables visible in auto, you park near Kona Honu's Dive Boat slip at ocean end and south side of harbor. Suit up and hike across lava trail...follow white paint and be cautious. Many divers feel this is best dive on the island.

That is Alua Beach. My ex-wife had a manta come up to her during a dive and a large billfish leaped out of the water through her bubbles.
Google Maps

Great dive. Only heard it called “harbor” or “ crescent” but mostly Dog Beach. On Google it’s called Dog Beach. People bring their dogs there which is prohibited in most beaches. ( probably illegal but tolerated there)

Not everyone on the board agrees with me, but you should try Puako if you can. Only about an hour north of Kona proper and some fantastic, easy, shallow, long dives with lots to see. A specific site would be "Puako end of road".

9887321955_696ee6c40e_m.jpg
9887423296_d0d5bfb933_m.jpg

Here's a good video of the harbor dive...aka Alua, Dog or Crescent. Video does not really show tricky lava trail to sandy beach which is hardest part of dive. Does show where you park and representative life and scenes. The sandy shots are 60ish feet or more. Tiger shark is La Verne.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom