Kona Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZdiver1279

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have some questions for divers who are either local on the big island or divers that have visited the big island.

We (4 divers) will be in Kona this spring for 10 days and would like to get in about 15 or more dives including the Manta Night Dive.

I would like to hear some thoughts on local dive shops, good or bad. What has been your experience while on the Big Island? What dive shop did you go with, what did you like or not like about them?

Also, it seems most of the dive shops are in Kona and we are staying in Waikloa. How long is that drive, I've heard that it can be 40 minutes from Waikloa, is that so?

Finally, what is the difference between Waikloa and Kona diving?

Thanks in advance for any response!

The bulk of the charter diving in west Hawaii is out of Kailua, about 25-30 minutes south of the Waikoloa resorts, or 35-40 minutes or so out of Waikoloa village up on the hill. They've recently put in an improved highway on the north end of Kailua that relieves the bottleneck coming into town and improves the drivetime to the harbor from the north. Kawaihae, to the north of the resorts, does have one operator. I believe there's an operator tied in with the Hilton that I virtually never ever hear about, there's also a 6 pack operator based out of the Queen's Marketplace shops at the resorts that I think launches out of Puako or Kawaihae that I've heard a couple of good things about from my customers.

Kailua's got a bunch of operators of varying sizes and most of them do a pretty good job. You'll need to check their websites and start comparing, then maybe make some calls and inquire about group sizes, length of dives, start/end times and such.

The diving up around Kawaihae and Puako's pretty interesting, as is the diving around Kailua, not so sure about the diving out of the Waikoloa resorts, I haven't personally dove there I really pretty much never hear anything about it. I suspect the bulk of the divers make the drive either south or north.

One thing that might attract operators to Kailua is that they don't have to worry about wind on a regular basis, as opposed to north of the Kona airport, as there's a couple of big ol' volcanoes blocking the tradewinds most of the time. We get our share of wind on occasion, but it's not generally screaming every afternoon for days or weeks on end most of the time.... we enjoy pretty much all day diving most days out of Kailua. Try a google search for "waikoblowa" if you have any questions, it really can be 20 knot winds or higher up north while Kailua's seeing 0-4 knot winds.

You'll enjoy the diving here, have fun!

Last edited:
Friscuba-

Thanks for the reply, that's great information, especially the information concerning the wind potential in the north. I've never been there so I appreciate this type of information.

For me that pretty much seals that we won't be diving from the north.

I'll take a look at your link.

Take care!

Friscuba as always is spot-on with his Kona dive recommendations.

As he said, your safest bet weather-wise is to dive out of Kailua-Kona. Leave a little extra time for the drive from Waikoloa into "town".

As far as diving to the North: There is some really good diving in Puako, and further north in Mahukona. Both places are best dove early-to-mid morning, because the wind does often kick up by late morning, and can get "ripping" by early afternoon. Or not :D I've only done shore dives at Puako and Mahukona, so cannot comment on the operators who run out there.

As far as diving from Kailua-Kona, there are several good operators. If you have the chance, be sure to do the night Manta dive. It is amazing.

Have fun on your trip!

LeadTurn_SD -

Thanks, that is helpful information that I appreciate!

Where did you ge you tanks for the shore dives?

Back
Top Bottom