Kona Dive Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarveyO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just returned laast night from a dive treip to Kona this last couple of days and thought I would tell the Ohana a bit about it since it was to say the least eventful.

Last thursday we ( my wife and I) flew over to Kona tro begin a dive trip that my wife gave me as a birthday present. I had plans to Dive on Friday with Dive Tek and Saturday with Big Island Divers. I had tried to set both days up with Dive Tek since they were so highly recommended and were the only Dive Op on Kona that I talked to that would offer me the use of larger tanks other than the AL-80's everyone uses. But, as luck would have it they were planning to put their boat into dry dock for a new paint job on Saturday. So I had to plan on diving with 2 differerent ops.

However when I got into town and called Keith at Dive Tek I was happy to learn their plans had changed and I could dive with them both days. I changed my arrangements for Saturday and showed up Friday morning for 2 days of Diving with Chuck the Captain, Collin Divemaster and 4 other divers that were all friends or crew of DiveTek.

What a treat. This was absolutely the finest Dive Op I've personally had the opportunity to date to dive with. The other divers were the nicest folks I could have been with. They really made me feel at home, treated me as a first class client and gave me two days of excellent and interesting diving. Their boat is immaculate and organized and has the best dive ladder bar none. (Keith told me it ws fabricated to accommodate the customers wearing doubles so the flat wide rungs, perfect angle, depth, and great hand rails made getting out of the water a cinch.

I had two fellow divers using rebreathers which was my first chance to see rebreathers in use and ask a bunch of questions. Collin the divemaster was in DIR rig and was just the best diver I've personally seen. His trim and bouyancy control was unreal. A great example for me. I still remember looking over at him on a safety stop as I was hanging on the rope and he was just hovering at 20 feet not moving just suspended. Really cool. He went way out of his way to find the coolest critters for me to see. I was sometimes yelling into my regulator I was so stoked at some of the wild ooking stuff he was coming up with.

I saw a school of barracuda, and most of the same critters we have on Oahu but everything seemed bigger, brighter, and more active. The sites we dove, for those of you familiar with Kona, were: Kaiwi Point, Naia Bay, Lone Tree Arch, Koloko Canyon.

There were frog fish, turtles, tako, and some of the most beautiful examples of coral I've seen. I realize this isn't Micronesia, but don't forget I only dive Oahu so this was some of the healthiest coral I've ever seen.

There was this unreal white flounder looking fish that's name escapes me right now but it was so cool.

Anyway if this isn't all enough, Keith was nice enough to throw in a Dive Tek hat and tee shirt for my birthday sealing the deal for me.

I'm very grateful to Dive Tek and my boat mates for a teriffic birthday present diving in Kona.

Glad you had a good time. You did however, miss out on diving with BID. Big shop with small shop service. Didi you get to do the manta dive? Shoulda! The blackwater is even better.
Welcome back and we are glad your safe.

I thought about the Manta dive but thought I'd rather go to some new sites and swim around a bit this trip. I'll be sure to go back for the Mantas and the Black Water.

I'll forward your post to Chuck. Glad you had a great time and the tanks worked out well.
Matthew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom