Kona dive trip 8/29-9/4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltyhawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks to all here on Scubaboard who steered us toward the Big Island for our dive vacation. It was fantastic!

Dive Shop....we chose Kona Honu after recommendations here and some exploration. Very happy with the choice. They use a large and very comfortable "cattle boat". Most days there were less than 10 divers and one day only 5 of us. No more than 5 divers per DM. Max depths varied from 80 to 50 feet with avereage depth around 46-48 feet. Their routine is to turn the dive when the first diver hits 1500 psi. When the boat is in sight anyone with 1000 or less is on their own to finish the dive/safety stop at their discretion. Anyone with more than 1000 is welcome to follow the DM away from the boat again. Most dive times were 55-65 minutes for us but we're still inexperienced air hogs. Several people had 70-75 minute dives. Water temps were a pleasant 82 degrees and vis was 70-100 feet (not too bad with the swells from 3 hurricanes stirring things up)

Diving.....Different from the Carribean. Not inferior just different. Those that like corals that move (sea fans, gorgonians, etc.) and bright colored sponges will be disappointed. Those that love stoney corals like me will be thrilled. Most reefs were very healthy with almost every square inch of rock covered in stoney corals. Fish...fantastics. Numerous endemic species you will see nowhere else! Big stuff...not so much. We didn't see any sharks. Did see some turtles (Hawksbill and Green) and some Spotted Eagle Rays. However, the night Manta dive made up for the lack of big stuff.

We did see large pods of spinner dolphins, false orcas and pilot whales from the boat.

canyon%20wall%201%20of%201_zpsgqkui9hd.jpg

blue%20porites%201%20of%201_zps3v7re9mp.jpg

Rabbi%20arch%201%20of%201_zpssg27upj2.jpg

Hidden%20crab%201%20of%201_zpsupqvxrrz.jpg

unkown%20Coris%20Wrassse%203%201%20of%201_zpsk9uptx9r.jpg

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 01:26 PM ----------

Ornate%20butterfly%201%20of%201_zpsrukcuyjk.jpg

Morish%20Idol%201%20of%201_zpsbvzpwmyd.jpg

pyramid%20%20butterfly%201%20of%201_zpscijzjaev.jpg

yelow%20margin%20moray%201%20of%201_zpsuywi0em9.jpg

frogfish%202%201%20of%201_zpsfygfn5ou.jpg

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and appreciated the Hawaiian diving for what's there and not for what's not there.

And that blue rice coral you have in your second picture is also an endemic.

For sharks, next time keep a close watch on the mouth of Honokohau Harbor. I had three tigers and three sandbars swimming around me (on the sand near "the green can" in the middle of the harbor entrance channel) in early July. Lots of tiger sightings during that time frame.

Glad to hear you had a good time. Sounds like the water was a few degrees warmer for you than I thought Hawaii got, and I'm glad to hear it. Never been there; a buddy who shore dove there with a friend one trip told me about it, but I don't remember which island that was.

Richard.

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and appreciated the Hawaiian diving for what's there and not for what's not there.

And that blue rice coral you have in your second picture is also an endemic.

For sharks, next time keep a close watch on the mouth of Honokohau Harbor. I had three tigers and three sandbars swimming around me (on the sand near "the green can" in the middle of the harbor entrance channel) in early July. Lots of tiger sightings during that time frame.

Yeah, we dove 3 different sites near the green marker buoy but no tiger sharks. The concensus from the captain and DM's was that they moved on since all the fishing tournaments were over and there wasn't free food there any more. Was really hoping to see "Laverne" the resident tiger shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom