Kona Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I need some help. We are going to do the Manta night dive with Kona Dive Company, however we cannot use them for our second day of diving because they will be closed (Thanksgiving). I have contact Big Island Divers and Kona Honu Divers and they both will be diving on Thanksgiving. I am hoping some of you out there can provide me with your experiences, thoughts, input on these two companies. I really appreciate the help.

Also, on the day we are flying out of Kona, we are not leaving until 10:30 pm at night - of course we can't dive - so does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do for the day? We have to check-out of the condo at 11 am in the morning - so we have quite a while to do something. We will have a car so we are good with driving someplace.

Thanks!

Used both for separate Manta dives on the same trip in November. Both were very good and would use either again. My wife and I did prefer Big Island Divers...nothing really specific however.

Go to the east side and do the zipline with Umauma Experience Zipline Hawaii - Big Island Zip Line Waterfalls Adventure Tours. If you like ziplines it's pretty nice. If you've never ziplined, it would be a treat. The drive is nice and will kill a few hours.

Bill

This discussion is relevant to me, headed to Kona the 2nd week of aug with my wife, mom, dad, sister, and brother in law. My dad and I are the only divers and plan on at the very least the manta dive but I'm wanting to do a 2 tank one morning also. Is the Manta trip for snorkelers worth it? My wife and sister are interested but seems kinda high. I'm leaning towards Big Island Divers. As for other things to do, we are wanting to see the volcano. What's the best way to see lava? I understand flowing lava is not garenteed either.

Does no one shore dive? We found the shore diving to be excellent!

This discussion is relevant to me, headed to Kona the 2nd week of aug with my wife, mom, dad, sister, and brother in law. My dad and I are the only divers and plan on at the very least the manta dive but I'm wanting to do a 2 tank one morning also. Is the Manta trip for snorkelers worth it? My wife and sister are interested but seems kinda high. I'm leaning towards Big Island Divers. As for other things to do, we are wanting to see the volcano. What's the best way to see lava? I understand flowing lava is not garenteed either.

The snorkelers get a real show as well. There are lights on "rafts" at the surface as well as all the lights down below. The mantas feed through the entire water column. The plankton concentrate at the light and the mantas come in on that.

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear, so do snorkelers go out on the same boat as the divers?

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear, so do snorkelers go out on the same boat as the divers?

When I was with Big Island Divers and Kona Honu Divers, yes, the divers and snorkelers are on the same boat. They all get the same briefing about the Mantas and then split for their own briefing regarding the snorkelling or scuba diving.

Pick up some tanks from Kona Dive Company, and head over to Place of Refuge for a easy shore dive. This is a great dive not to be missed, and no reason to use a boat to dive that site. Next time I go to the Big Island I plan on doing a three-tank long range for the chance to hang out on the boat, otherwise I will do just shore diving, as the boat is usually no more then 100 yards from the shore anyway. :)

Also, on the day we are flying out of Kona, we are not leaving until 10:30 pm at night - of course we can't dive - so does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do for the day? We have to check-out of the condo at 11 am in the morning - so we have quite a while to do something. We will have a car so we are good with driving someplace.
On the late USAirways flight I see...

Go to the Volcanoes National Park. You'll have time - can even plan on dinner in Kona if you leave about 9AM. It's roughly two hours from south Kona, about 2.5 hours if you're staying up in Waikoloa and at 4000' so you can't go there on a dive day. It's been erupting since 2008. Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park

Current webcam image: HVO Webcams

What's the best way to see lava? I understand flowing lava is not garenteed either.

Visiting the volcano is worth the effort, do not miss visiting the park. Getting close to flowing lava is a more serious proposition right now, six miles round trip across the old flows. It can be done, but not without planning, prep and some risk.

Your timing is good, I recently wrote a blog post with my hint on getting to the flow, it will post tomorrow morning... http://darkerview.com/wordpress/?p=6964

Here is a blog on my latest hike to the flow... Trek to the Lava | A Darker View

Back
Top Bottom