Kona Dive Shops ( Who is the best? )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello Scubaboard !

I'll be in Kona in Mid October. You experts have been there for me before. I need you, I need you. Help me ! Help me ! Which are the best dive shops? Thanks !

HammerheadGuy:
Hello Scubaboard !

I'll be in Kona in Mid October. You experts have been there for me before. I need you, I need you. Help me ! Help me ! Which are the best dive shops? Thanks !

The single best shop, IMO, is Jack's Diving Locker (one of the nicest retail facilities I've ever seen). Running a close second is Big Island Divers.

As far as dive operators go, hands down (again in my opinion) DiveTek Adventures [(877) 885 -DIVE] is the best there is.

HammerheadGuy:
Hello Scubaboard !

Are you bringing your own buddy? Do you want to boat dive or beach dive? Are you renting a car? Are you bringing your own gear? Are there specific sites you want to dive? Or are you content to have excellent DM/guides lead you? Ask away, and suggestions and advice will rain down upon your eager head :D .

I hope you have reservations for your accommodations. The reason being that the Ironman Triathalon is on...I think October 15. There are a couple extra thousand people in Kona that week and I'd be willing to bet that the hotels and condos in the immediate Kona area are booked up already.

There are a lot of good dive shops. There is very friendly competition between the operators. If one shop is booked, most will be happy to call other dive shops and help you connect with someone that has space. I really like that about the Kona operators.

Jack's Diving Locker does have the most beautiful dive shop I have ever been in (and I've been in a lot). Even if you choose to dive with someone else, stop by there and check out their facilities.

My recommendation would be to e-mail and/or call a few and see which one fits your personality, interests and diving style.

Good luck and have fun.

WileEDiver:
The single best shop, IMO, is Jack's Diving Locker (one of the nicest retail facilities I've ever seen).

but you may run into someone you know there, LOL! Last year, I ran into WileE while in Jack's, and it's a surprise to hear yourself called by name that far from home. It is one of the best organized retail shops I've ever seen.

kelpmermaid:
but you may run into someone you know there, LOL! Last year, I ran into WileE while in Jack's, and it's a surprise to hear yourself called by name that far from home. It is one of the best organized retail shops I've ever seen.
But we haven't seen each other since then. And since we've only ever seen each oither at dive shows or dive shops, we ought to try diving sometime--I hear it's a lot of fun. :)

A few are independent operators, which means they have the boat and equipment to rent, but no shop. Are you in need of a shop, or are you looking for an operator to take you out??

Jack's Diving Locker is a great shop, and, IMHO, a good dive boat op, too.

But I gotta give a shout out to South Kona Scuba. If you're shore diving south of town in the K-bay/Honaunau area (as we did almost every day we were there recently), go see Tim. He's a great guy, a wealth of information, and has all the airfills and rental gear you need (though in a much less posh setting than Jack's to be sure.) It's the kinda place you can just swap out for full tanks and settle up later if no one is around to help you out. I can't wait to dive Kona again! It's definitely my kind of scene :)

I always wanted to stop in there but I had a tank fill card with another shop. I will have to poke my head in and have a look next time Im there.

HammerheadGuy,

If you want to see a beautiful dive shop, the Jack's is the place. I loved going in there. I have two kids and would you believe it, they have kids stuff in there as well! It was a nice surprise from other dive shops I've been to.

Great group of friendly guides/instructors/boat captains. Unfortunately, I think the prices reflect on how much rent they are paying. I did three night manta dives with three different outfits when I was there and I paid at least $25.00 more. Same dive as the other boats.

I had great service with the other dive ops and paid less. Thumbs up to Wanna Dive for a small group and friendly boat. To be honest, every dive I went on served the "same" sandwiches. Nothing different there.

I only wish I had tried Big Island Divers. Never got to check them out.

Have fun!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom