Kona Dive Advice - Operators, Lodging etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eotm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to go diving in Kona the week after labor day (Sept 3-8), have searched the board, notably the discussion http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii/451956-where-stay-dive-kona.html and have a few questions:1) What operators are best for a solo diver? Prefer smaller (and faster) boats and a relatively unstructured dive. Would you recommend a different operator for the Manta night dive for better lights, etc? I am a photographer, so would like somewhere camera friendly, and want to dive my computer.2) Where would you recommend staying? SPG loyalist, but that will not drive the decision here, as the Sheraton no longer waives resort fees. Looking more for amenities (pool, bar, beach access) than the room or view, but would prefer a comfortable bed and usable bathroom.3) Do I need to rent a car? I'm younger than 25, so this can get expensive fast. Would like to spend 4 days diving (2 tank and night dive or 3-4 tanks) and then my pre-flight interval hiking and going to the volcano.Thanks for the advice in advance. This board has never steered me wrong, and probably is a good part of the reason I've been able to get into the sport without family or friends who are divers.

We stay in a condo and rent a car, but it sounds like you are looking for a resort with a bar, so I'll just move on to the question about op suggestions.

We've used Big Island Divers on 2 trips and we love them. They have a smaller, faster boat that does some of the more advanced trips with 6 divers max. They are just excellent- great staff, great dives, they allow you to dive your air, and divers pick the sites. My 2 favorites are Suck em Up and the Elevator Shaft. They also have a 2 tank manta & black water dive that I'd highly recommend if you have don't either type of dive before.

However, you should not spend your pre-flight SI anywhere near the volcano, or even anywhere on the other side of the island. The trip over brings you up to too high of an altitude for safety less than 18 hours after diving. Plan your trip so that you do Volano/Hilo first, then settle in/near Kona for the rest of the trip.

Thanks for the heads up on the volcano, didn't realize the elevation differential until I looked at a topographical map (figured the whole highest mountain thing was just because the ocean was pretty deep). Big Island looks ideal for me, if a bit on the expensive side ($12 a tank for Nitrox ugh), but hopefully they will discount a bit if I dive with them the whole trip. Couldn't find much about photography on the website, are they pretty camera friendly?

Last edited:
I have a P&S, no stobe, but I felt they were all I needed. They will hand cameras down and bring them back up for you. There was always a camera rinse bucket, but I do mention I need it when booking so I'm never sure if its always there or it's there because I asked :wink:

They have packages for 3 and 5 days of diving and will also give you a discount on the specialty dives when you book a package.

Diving in Hawaii is expensive, especially when compared to a place like Cozumel. But I love the big island and the wild life you will see there is nothing like the Caribbean.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added August 7th, 2013 at 11:24 AM ----------

And if you've never dived with wild dolphins before, ask them to keep a look out while on the boat.

Once with Big Island we had a the captain kill the engine while headed to a site and say to us "if you want to dive with dolphins, jump in now." I never suited up so fast in my life. Dropped to about 25 feet and watched dozens of wild dolphins put on a show for 20 minutes! One of the most memorable dives of my life!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Any Hotel will do, if you have a car. We enjoyed diving with Kona Honu Divers, who also do the Manta night dive. They are on the north end of Kailua-Kona. We stayed at the Courtyard King Kanehameha Beach hotel, which is right on the beach and has all amenities ( headquarters for the iron man triathalon too). As to "stucture vs. freedom" on dives, your experience level suggests that you should discuss that with the dive concessionaire you choose. Most ops in Hawaii are pretty closely supervised guided dives unless you have a professional credential and insurance, or previous dives with that operator, or more logged dives than you present, but talk to the operator about it.
DivemasterDennis

A quick follow-up. I'm packing and wondering if 3mm low top soft sole boots are OK or if I need to bring the hard sole booties. Might do some shore diving, and read the entries aren't generally beaches on the Big Island.

Sorry one more bump. Is there a need for a cutting tool in Kona? After much effort (and finally giving in to split fins), I have gotten all my gear into a (very heavy) carry on bag + laptop/camera backpack. Can't imagine there would be much commercial fishing given how close to shore the dive sites are and I won't be doing wrecks.

I would bring at lease a z knife. The first time you need an knife and you don't have it could be serious trouble!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Back
Top Bottom