Kona Coast in May - Your Thoughts Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning on taking my wife and 3 year old son to the Kona Coast this May. I can't decide where to stay. Can anyone offer any advice?

My wife will be 4 months pregnant at the time, so no diving for her, but I'll be able to do a couple boat trips and maybe some shore dives if I can find a buddy.

With that said, here is what we are trying to consider:

1) House/Condo rental in close proximity to beach; i.e walking distance
2) Not overly touristy area
3) Relatively secluded
4) Close to nature/hiking

I know I'm being pretty general, but hey, never done done the Big Island so looking for any input any locals or other travelers are willing to share on where to stay.

Thanks,

hf

There's tons of condos available in the Kona district. I usually recommend check out VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner and then start looking at google maps to cross reference locations. Hotels can run from budget to high end. If you look at the Keauhou or White sands beach area you can find a bunch of places that might fit the bill.

You'd need to define "not overly touristy" to give a good idea of what you are looking for... compared to Waikiki, the Poipu area on Kauai, the Lahaina and resort areas of Maui, the entire Big Island is not overly touristy... I think Kailua has 5 or 6 buildings over 4 stories high, and it stops at about 6 or 7 stories.

If you want what I'd consider to be relatively secluded, you won't be anywhere near walking distance to a beach unless you can get a place down on the water in Napo'opo'o at Kealakekua Bay. Once again mileage can vary greatly depending on how you define things. Most of the hotels and busier tourist areas are found close to the beaches.

You'll definitely want a car, that'll open up a world of adventures to you as the island is BIG and there's lots of hiking and other recreational activities available.

Have fun!

We stayed at the out rigger keauhou.Loved it! it`s far enough out of the main hub on Kona that it`s quiet. You must get a jeep if you want to shore dive as some of the sites are off the beaten path. And to see the rest of the island. Another must is the manta night dive. We had 8 mantas on our dive! On Kona it`s all about the ISLAND so take the time to drive around an behold all that is Kona! Enjoy (can`t wait to go back)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom