Kona Checkout Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone:

I will be going to Kona in May diving with Big Island Divers. I would like to do a check out shore dive for proper weighting before doing the boat dives. Could anyone recommend a convenient spot near Kona for that purpose? I don't care too much about the quality of the dive site as this will be mainly for adjusting weighting. The most important factor is the convenience of reaching the site.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a good spot

maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=19.668101,-156.026523&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=19.668665,-156.024742&sspn=0.007719,0.013947&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17]to: 19.668101,-156.026523 - Google Maps

It's called crescent beach and it's an easy entry after crawling over lava rock (wear shoes) And afterwards you can pick up a cheap and frosty schooner at the harbor house bar next door. Have fun!

You could dive the north side of Kailua Pier. There is a nice reef in 5-35 feet of water...and beyond that, lots of sand if you need to settle down for some practice on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom