Kona Aggressor trip help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ill answer your questions since I am still behind on my full review.

Are you glad you chose the Aggressor?
Yes, very glad. It was a great trip. The crew is fantastic and the diving was very good. We had some large animal encounters (which of course you cant always count on). Those included two whale sharks, a manta ray and a group of 5-6 hammerheads. However, the diving was fun and being on the Aggressor we went much further south than most day boats go, and always had our pick of the reef. In total they offered 27 dives during the trip, 5 per day, and they are spaced out very well. With the exception of the manta night dive, we were the only boat at every site. That was very nice. The spaced out dives gives you plenty of time to get dry, take a nap, eat something or just look at the coastline.

Was the bibbed hood and shortie warm enough or did you get chilled?
I never used the hood, only my shortie. I took a 3mm full, hood and gloves. Only used the gloves on dives were they said we might have to touch bottom or caves. There were other dives in 3mm shorties as well, including the male dive guides. However, others were using a 5mm full. We had temps mostly around 78. We never went overly deep, usually 70 was my max depth and they limit you to one hour dives, most people were up around 40-45.

Does a Dive Master go on most of the dives to show the way and to point out critters?
Yes, there is a guide in the water for every dive. You can follow the group, or go with your buddy, but there is a dive guide in at the start of every dive.

How are the rooms? Would a suitcase fit under the bed?
Rooms are comfy for a boat, with plenty of drawer and closest space. Cleaned daily. My carry-on fit right under the bed. They have a dry hold for suitcases if you want to unpack and want more space in the room. Most everyone did this with their gear bags. The only thing I would suggest for Aggressor is to add small fans to the room for individual climit control and white noise.

Any tips or suggestions?
I would fly into Kona , at least, the day before. Prevent an airline delay (like I had) and just get there and be worry free. Every time they announced another delay out of LAX, it was nice to just not care about it haha. Kona is a small airport, and that kind of took me by surprise, but it wasnt a problem. Taxis from the airport are steep, I rented a car, but then had to return it anyway and taxi back to the port (Uber isnt allowed to pick up there, which as a US city I found a little restrictive) and allows the high taxi fares. That being said, the pier is (usually) very easy to get too. Unfortunately for us there was both a cruise ship in that day and the town Christmas parade, lol. But the following Friday when we returned it was very low key and relaxed on the waterfront. They allow you to bring your bags to the boat before check in, so you dont have to lug them around town.

Otherwise, I would bring some bonine or another non-drowsy motion sickness medication. The boat is usualy very stable, but better to have and not need, then need and not have. Otherwise, the crew takes care of everything. The service is top notch.

Also, the food. The food was amazing. Chef Guy is a major asset to the Kona Aggressor. The only one of the boat who doesnt dive, more than makes up for it. There was no ``you dont go hungry on this boat'' there was ``My god, this meal is even better than the last one!!''

One last thing is the dive deck. Plenty of space. You gear up then walk down a few steps to the platform where your fins are waiting for you. Then you giant stride in. If you are older or struggle with steps and gear, they will bring the gear down to you.

Anything else feel free to ask. I promise everyone there will be a full review (with pics) upcoming haha.

Naswl, thank you so much for the quick reply! We just finished booking our trip for March and I am practically jumping up and down with excitement! 75 days and counting! It will be quite a big change in weather from today as we are getting ready to head out to celebrate New Years around a camp fire in the snow.

I
Ill answer your questions since I am still behind on my full review.

Are you glad you chose the Aggressor?
Yes, very glad. It was a great trip. The crew is fantastic and the diving was very good. We had some large animal encounters (which of course you cant always count on). Those included two whale sharks -

If you have decent photos of Whale Sharks you can register and name them with this research outfit :

https://www.hawaiiuncharted.org/

Fyi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom