Kona 5/6-5/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgy:
We are heade to Kona in May and my husband wants to dive but nobody else going dives. I would like a recommendation for a dive boat where he can dive with a group and should i make reservations now?

I’m a new diver, the only boat diving is with Jack’s Diving Locker. From reading the SoCal boat etiquette thread and numerous accounts of other boat dives here at ScubaBoard I feel very privileged. While structure was apparent, it was very low key and I always felt like a welcome guest among the crew out for fun and not rushed or they were watching the time card clock.

One dive had an in water diver needing help – the entire manner it was handled was extremely reassuring. Swift response and recovery, calm detailed assessment and management (IMO correct medically).
I liked that group info was delivered in pieces relevant to the occasion and not until all divers were present. None was delivered in a ‘by rote’ manner. All corrections in my presence were quiet and directed to the individual, I doubt many other divers were aware. (I observe closely hoping to learn from other’s mistakes.) I did not feel intimidated by asking (I’m sure) ‘geek’ questions.

The trip out and back resembled a guided Nature Tour. Dive locations and related features were pointed out as we passed getting to our sites. Sightseeing photo ops were presented voted on for interest and time given to get to and observe. There was a continual flow of discussion between crew and divers with tips, theories, and preferences (ie: shark encounter, hand signal marine life descriptions, photography.)
Very helpful observations of situation management were offered in a friendly manner and solution suggestions provided at request by all of the crew.
Gear was handled efficiently and treated with respect. I do have a problem with other divers plopping down wet over my gear bag. Even worse was on top of my camera (on the bench over my gear bag to indicate the place occupied and keep some items dry – see above) and, he must have weighed at least 300 pounds.

I felt very comfortable with each Dive Master. Some divers stayed right with the DM but I was allowed to sightsee at will, perhaps due to the common good visibility and, really cool things were brought to my attention. I felt the DM displayed confidence in me by not insisting I perform like a dog on a tight heal leash. Some divers might view it as neglect. On occasion, the DM took very good photos that were available after.

More often than not, when I’ve been in the shop it was busy but each person or group were being taken care as if no one was waiting. They have great videos you can view overhead while you wait.
They have a nice pool to test gear or refresh skills in. It even has a window so non-divers can see what’s going on.
I wish I could compare with other operators but I do highly recommend Jack’s Diving Locker in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island.

Thanks to TechAdmin for pointing out the Hawaii board. I’m new to any board interaction. All members, please forgive any social blunders and continue to answer questions what may be repeatedly. I and perhaps many others, stumble across threads of interest.
Aloha nui loa.

Should we take wet suits? All I have is a 6mm jacket and john but can borrow a shorty

The water temperature will likely be in the 78-79* range. I always wear a 3 mm full wetsuit for warmth and protection and I have always been comfortable in Hawaii. I think a shorty would be OK, depending on how easily you get cold in the water.

QUOTE=sgy]Should we take wet suits? All I have is a 6mm jacket and john but can borrow a shorty[/QUOTE]

We're just inching up from 75 degrees right now. Should be a degree or two warmer come May, possibly as high as 78 by late May. Men seem to be doing just fine in a 3 mil full unless they are quite slender or prone to getting cold. Women might want extra for the second dive. For snorkeling, any extra thermal protection should be fine. A 6 mil john and jacket may be overkill, but either may be fine.

Most dive operators will throw in a wetsuit for 5 bucks or so on top of the normal charter price, inquire ahead for the specifics from whoever you choose.

Have fun,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom