Komodo national park for beginner divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hankalis

New
Reaction score
hello hello,

My friend and I will be touring Indonesia in August and we would like to do some diving.
our current plan is to fly to Labuan Bajo (from Bali) for a short 5 days stay and from there go for 2 or 3 day diving-excursions.

The Komodo national park is notorious for being a fabulous diving area and I have no doubt on that. My concern is that we are very beginner divers (i.e. just got our OWD certification with not much dives under our belt). I read that many diving sites are prone to strong currents and are not for beginners.

my question is: is there interesting-enough diving sites in the Komodo national park which would be adequate for beginners (not technical)? as we're only planning to dive for about 3 days, a small number of such diving sites would enough to keep us busy during our staying.

I've already did ask, the question I am asking here, to a diving club in Labuan Bajo (namely reefseekers) and their answer was yes. but I would like to have forumers opinion on that matter before deciding.

cheers

hankalis

There would be plenty to keep you entertained! There are some dive sites there I wouldn't mind diving for 3 straight days, because you would never see it all. Cannibal Rock being one for sure. You should definitely go, the local guides will take good care of you. While in you are in Labuan Bajo, get a driver to take you up to the little village in the hills. They have the most breathtaking view at sunset, you can literally see 20 different islands from there. The villagers will ask you to sign their guest book and leave a small donation. Candy or little toys for the children are appreciated as well. Have a wonderful time!!

Yes, just so you know Indonesia has 16,777 islands in its archipelago. Most of those islands are in the east part of Indonesia (where the Komodo island is).

Have fun!
S-

I'm a beginner diver myself and felt never unsafe during one of the eight dives I did there in February this year. The diving in Komodo is awesome! I couldn't decide which dive was the most impressive one, maybe the one where we saw about 25 Manta rays!? Twice we couldn't dive at the planned dive site due to too strong currents, but that shouldn't be a problem in August since it's not rainy season. But there are more than 50 dive sites in Komodo National Park, so there was no problem to find another one :wink:
I dived with the Bajo Dive Club. The equipment and the dive masters were flawless. Their website is www.komododiver.com/index_en.html
Enjoy!!

I dove with Reefseekers about 6 years ago and LOVED the diving in Komodo National Park. I was a relatively new diver at the time as well (35-40 dives logged) and was just fine with the conditions the dives had to offer.

I would just explain your situation and concerns with them and I believe they'd be more than willing to make sure you're comfortable with the dives they have available.

The diving in Komodo is just awesome, but so are the currents. Make sure to mention to the dive op that you are beginners and perhaps even request a personal divemaster for the two of you.

Personally I would not recommend Komodo for beginners.

The diving in Komodo is just awesome, but so are the currents. Make sure to mention to the dive op that you are beginners and perhaps even request a personal divemaster for the two of you.

Personally I would not recommend Komodo for beginners.

Especially as they are now looking for five missing divers, including the DM. From the press reports, they've been missing a day and the local don't have enough fuel to send up their chopper.

Especially as they are now looking for five missing divers, including the DM. From the press reports, they've been missing a day and the local don't have enough fuel to send up their chopper.

Most of the day operators only dive in the northern part of the park. The best sites for beginners would be down in Horseshoe bay (Rinca where cannibal rock yellow wall, krinoid canon, boulders etc are. These sites still can very effected by currents.

As you say you only have 3 days so strongly suggest that you look doing your diving Bali or Manado areas both of these places and excellent in their own right. (PM me if you want more info) Currents in komodo can and are unpredictable. Certainly with more experience Komodo is a must to put on anyones list as the diving is fantastic.

August traditional is the coldest for water temperatures in the southern part of the park with temperatures hovering anywhere from 16-19 degrees C. Right now with the SE trades coming in the temps are around 20 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom