Komodo LOB With Mona Lisa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GS9826

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone done the LOB trip with Mona Lisa recently? How do you feel about diving with them? Does the dive guides know the sites and read the current well? Thanks.

We did a four night trip with them about 5 years ago and had a great time diving the North side of Komodo but the dive guide was not great! It did not make much difference to us since we were all experienced divers and two of us had worked in PNG as guides so knew what we were looking for and where to find it more than the dive guide. If I was going back (and I am thinking about it) I would ensure that I went with a guide than knew the area well since I know we missed out on some good sites and without doubt some critters however we did have a great trip.

i was recently on the mona lisa in april and had 7 days of amazing diving, the guides were as good as i have experienced (local and foreign cruise director)which i agree is of major importance in komodo due to the tidal currents that change from site to site at different times and can be very strong. one of the guides called hila in particular was super good in spotting pigmy sea horses, ,mandarin fish, ornate ghost pipe fish and thankfully our group favourite frog fish plus then of course you have manta madness and sharks.
one recomendation is to book directly with komodo cruises and ask for the last minute price as i know they have special offers for groups and last minute deals and also, if booking komodo only go with boats that are in the park full time as the diving outside on the way to bali is sub standard of knp and the guides normally much less experienced in komodo.

aquapiggy

one of the guides called hila in particular was super good in spotting pigmy sea horses, ,mandarin fish, ornate ghost pipe fish and thankfully our group favourite frog fish plus then of course you have manta madness and sharks.
aquapiggy

Hila is amazing! He moves around amongst their two or three boats, so it's almost worth asking which boat he'll be on when you want to go. Then again, given Komodo Cruises' (lack of) organization, they probably don't know where he'll be either. :wink: But besides being a great dive guide, he's really a wonderful, humble person. And a new Dad as of December, I think, so ask him how his baby is doing!

FWIW - Anyone reading this who is connected with a really good, well-organized liveaboard operation in Indo that might be looking for a new guide, Hila is a rare find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom