Komodo LOB - how many days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, guides for the Jr OWs on the Blue Manta were Egoi (cruise director) and Delphine (asst cruise director on that particular trip). I believe both are instructors as I think the Jr OWs were only certified to dive with instructors.

First time poster here. I'm planning to go Komodo too and from reading experienced divers sharing on Scubaboard and Reddit, it seems LOBs that cover the south Komodo, in addition to north and central, is the way to go. South Komodo faces the open ocean and has some great dive sites.

I actually also have another question I'd like to piggyback on- if budget is a moderate concern for me, should I wait until prices drop to book the LOB? I'm looking at Jun 20' and prices are significantly higher than Jun 19', where some of the more reputable operators still have vacancy.

First time poster here. I'm planning to go Komodo too and from reading experienced divers sharing on Scubaboard and Reddit, it seems LOBs that cover the south Komodo, in addition to north and central, is the way to go. South Komodo faces the open ocean and has some great dive sites.

I actually also have another question I'd like to piggyback on- if budget is a moderate concern for me, should I wait until prices drop to book the LOB? I'm looking at Jun 20' and prices are significantly higher than Jun 19', where some of the more reputable operators still have vacancy.

It’s normal for the same sailing to increase with each year. It usually won’t come down in price unless they aren’t filling the spots and they are worried about going out with a lot off vacancy. If you know it’s what you want, I would book it and not bank on it getting cheaper.

Thank you all!
Pindito is full in July - and anyway more than we can afford. Tambora is sailing Borneo and Blue Manta, while they still have space is a very big boat.
Mermaid 2 is doing Bali-Komodo-Bali and I've started consider this, but it's 7n/8d so my fear is, not many dives will be done in Komodo itself, also we would not have a chance to dive Maumere or take a trip across Flores .. Mermaid 1 does 10n/11d and I'm sure it will be too long for our daughter.

I've looked into private charters and have had positive feedback from Wunderpus (Mimic liveaboard) and Kira Kira - but both are no ac boats. Mimic is with sleeping on the (covered) deck and I'm leaning towards this, as I think it would be a great experience for us as a family, but Kira Kira can stay out for 7 nights without resupply.

Question: how much of a "must" is ac in Komodo in July? Has anyone been on these boat and have any good/bad?

Ive been on Pindito in July...i cant recall needing AC but im an Aussie so pretty well aclimatised - one of those things I guess, personal tolerance.

If you are considering charter, you might look this boat https://www.anthiascruise.com/
Newly built boat with individuals AC in 3 cabins, look nice, good size for charter.
Never been there though.

We've been in Komodo end of July, certainly AC help us for good sleep, particularly when mooring at sheltered bay with no wind.

In addition to AC, ask about electricity (some are not 24 hours) and hot water/running showers (some are pour over!) as well as safety equipment and navigation equipment.

I need AC - some reprieve. It can get really hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom