Komodo LOB - how many days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yes, I do know: as many as possible:)

BUT: this time we're bringing our 9-year-old daughter, so: has anyone done a LOB in Komodo with non-diver/snorkeler? She's a very strong swimmer, but still only 9, when we travel in July 2020.

Are there good/safe snorkeling spots near the great dive sites in Komodo?

Currently we're discussing between 5-7 nights, would it be "enough" to experience Komodo? Anyone know of boats, that will accept a child/provide a snorkeling guide for her?

We're also looking at diving Maumere first - anyone been there recently? Is it worth it going there, or should we do some land based dives from LBJ?

I was on the Blue Manta in RA recently and there were 2 Jr OWDs on board, each with their own private dive guide. I presume a private guide can be arranged for a snorkler as well.

It's about Rp 250,000 for an additional guide in R4, I presume it's about the same. But most guides are just OWDs.

In R4, there are a few jetties where you can snorkel as well as have divers. Both are just as amazing with different experiences.

Mermaid Liveaboards allows children. Here is the info:

Child 8/9 years – non diving – pays 50% of diver rate if shares with 2 parents/guardians. Child 9/8 years and under – non diving – pays full non diver rate if sharing with only 1 parent/guardian. Parents/guardians have to be with the child at all times. If both parents want to dive and the child remains on board, we will hire an additional crew – at euros 50 per day x total number of cruise days – at the parent’s cost to supervise the child’s activities only while the parents/guardians are in the water. Please note this service is available for Komodo and subject to confirmation for Raja Ampat and other areas. Please also note a minimum of 4 weeks’ notice is required to arrange this service. In case of Full Boat charter – guest’s age is up to the organizer of the charter but supervision conditions are as per the above.

Mermaid Liveaboards allows children. Here is the info:

Child 8/9 years – non diving – pays 50% of diver rate if shares with 2 parents/guardians. Child 9/8 years and under – non diving – pays full non diver rate if sharing with only 1 parent/guardian. Parents/guardians have to be with the child at all times. If both parents want to dive and the child remains on board, we will hire an additional crew – at euros 50 per day x total number of cruise days – at the parent’s cost to supervise the child’s activities only while the parents/guardians are in the water. Please note this service is available for Komodo and subject to confirmation for Raja Ampat and other areas. Please also note a minimum of 4 weeks’ notice is required to arrange this service. In case of Full Boat charter – guest’s age is up to the organizer of the charter but supervision conditions are as per the above.

Thank you! Very good to know! We did a 4 day LOB in Thailand last year and I could only find 1 boat, who was willing to have her (and they did not charge extra for supervision).

Thank you! Very good to know! We did a 4 day LOB in Thailand last year and I could only find 1 boat, who was willing to have her (and they did not charge extra for supervision).

Mermaid is a very reputable company and their 2 boats are good. Mermaid 1 is a smaller boat and Mermaid 2 is a larger boat so max capacity is very different. You will love Komodo - it’s amazing!

Thank you. How many days/nights would you say is a minimum for Komodo LOB? Is 5 nights enough?
I'm now in contact with an operator, where we can do a full charter, but they can do a maximum of 5 nights before they need to resupply - does it make sense to do 5 nights, resupply and then do 2 more nights? Or do 5 night LOB and then 2 days land diving? (Settling in a resort with pool, and get a nanny for our youngest).

We're planning 3 weeks for this trip in total, and was planning to dive Maumere as well.... Might change that to Gili or Lombok.

Just checked Mermaid - they only do Bali-Komodo-Bali - 10n/11d. I think that might be stretching it with days on a boat.

Thank you. How many days/nights would you say is a minimum for Komodo LOB? Is 5 nights enough?
I'm now in contact with an operator, where we can do a full charter, but they can do a maximum of 5 nights before they need to resupply - does it make sense to do 5 nights, resupply and then do 2 more nights? Or do 5 night LOB and then 2 days land diving? (Settling in a resort with pool, and get a nanny for our youngest).

We're planning 3 weeks for this trip in total, and was planning to dive Maumere as well.... Might change that to Gili or Lombok.

We dived for 4-5 days in a liveaboard my first time to Komodo. We regretted not going for 7 so do 7. Mermaid sometimes does 10 days to/from Bali to Komodo but I’ve heard mixed reviews. Going back to port to resupply eats into your dive time. Try to go for a full 7 if possible. Day trips are feasible but you only get maybe 3 dives and it’s an all day affair on a day boat and you’ll be subjected to the schedule of the shop for that particular day even if you’ve already dived it and want to see something different.

Pindito is perfect for your needs - they actually do Family and Biodiversity cruises. I did Maumere - Bali last year (Found the cutest little hotel in the world on a beach in Maumere) and spoke at length with Edi re the family and whale watching cruises as Edis diversity plan.

For your daughter there are kayaks, paddleboards (from memory) there was a younger snorkeller onboard who had a guide with her at times plus the girls in the kitchen are great with kids. The Drone is out regularly as should be by now the ROV so your daughter will have things to see without being a diver. The benefit I see for families on Pindito is the ability for the double bed cabins to be converted with a single bed fitted above so you are all in one cabin without compromising space and comfort.

Another family friendly boat is Tambora - have done RA & Banda Sea on Tambora with the owners (then) toddler son onboard but not Komodo.

I think it was either 11 or 9 nights on Pindito ex Maumere....should keep a log book :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom