Trip Report Komodo Liveaboard - Scuba Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

touny71

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just came back from my first ever Liveaboard, with Scuba Republic on Bajak, 4D3N

For context i've 50~ dives and have dove some predictable currents, but was sightly anxious about diving Komodo during a new Moon after having seen some crazy footage of Batu Bolong.

In the day before departure we met our Guide, Yano and some of the other guests and divemasters that were finishing their requesites and would also join us. The vibes were great and the equiptment was in great working order.

Next day we boarded the Bajak (pirate in Indonesian) and i was very well impressed.
Spacious, very confortable, with a great sun deck, a nice dining area and again lots of space to relax (definitly helped it was "half-full").
We ended up doing a check dive at Sebayur Kecil, next one at Pengah and a great night dive Wainilu.
Perfect first day with lots of dolphin pods, amazing viz and very healthy corals, following a night dive with bioluminescence. Couple of beers and the best food i had in about 2 weeks sealed the deal.

In the next few days we dove Mawan, Makassar, Batu Bolong, Shotgun, Castle Rock, Crystal Rock, Golden Passage, Siaba Besar and Tatawa Besar.

All the dive charts were of the charts, except Tatawa Besar that i found pretty underwelming.

The highlights were:
- Mantas at Mawan, Makassar, Castle Rock
- Mobulas interacting with us
- Huge agregation of groupers at Golden Passage
- Incontable Black and White Tips and one grey that came to check us out at Batu Bolong and kept around
- The scenary above water
- GT's smashing bait balls at Crystal Rock

Current wise, the only dive site that was proper crazy was shotgun (were i momentarily lost my fin while hooked) but we still did a 54min dive.

Absolutly loved the boat, the crew, the operation as a whole.
Every day and dive felt very well planed, being able to avoid dive boat at most sites (we only saw other divers at Crystal Rock and Mawan).
Yano was probably the most impressive guide i ever dove with, spotting oraguntang crabs every 5 vibes while predicting Mobulas apereances every once in a while.

Considering the cost, my experiences in other sites around the Indian and Indo it definitly exceeded my expectations.
Will try visit Raja with them in the future.

Edit: will try to add some more photos

1000059141.jpg

1000059365.jpg
e2e3d2e4-32cc-4d20-8a0b-aa54d8d0acbd-1_all_48481.jpg
1000059805.jpg
1000058046.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom